Kohler lav cartridges... slow leaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

David Meiland

General Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
We recently did a bath remodel and the lav faucet seems to have a very slow drip (so slow it's almost not happening, but the drain stopper is wet, and there is usually a drip hanging from the aerator). This appears to be from both the hot and cold sides, which I checked by shutting off one angle stop and then the other, allowing a few hours each to see if that solved the problem. The faucet is a Kohler Forte widespread, with quarter turn cartridges that I think of as "butterfly" style. It looks like the cartridge is a 77005 or 77006.

Anyone familiar with these? What's the chances of two of them not quite working? If one didn't work, I'd assume maybe a piece of grit in there that's allowing the drip... but both of them? I'll probably call for new cartridges and ask my plumber to change them, but is there another possibility I'm not thinking of?

Leo427

Reaction score
I installed the Forte widespread about 6 months ago. I had a similar leak on the hot side only. It was barely noticeable except for the stopper being wet. Maybe a drop every hour or so.

I contacted Kohler and they sent me both cartridges at no charge. They recommended changing both even though only one leaked. Maybe there was a design issue?

I would suggest getting the new cartridges from Kohler and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Leo427

Reaction score
Just to clarity, my faucet leaked from the moment I put it in also. I tried flushing it, turning it on and off rapidly, took out the cartridge and did a visual check, etc., nothing worked.

Just one of those things. However, you got the double whammy.

Again, good luck with the repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks