washing machine adaptations

Users who are viewing this thread

ELLETHEKITTY

Reaction score
hello. ive just been given a washing machine, but the basement i live in does not have those happy taps that would attatch to the hot and cold water intake valves. i am pretty sure that i know what hoses are appropriate. Can I buy an adaptor and set this up with the regular tap, either in the kitchen or the bathroom?
Im not worried about drainage, I am only concerned about whether a regular tap can be adapted, and is safe in terms of auto-shut off and water pressure.
I live in canada and it is electric, if thats helpful.
thanks

i also have an outdoor hose tap that could easily be hooked up to the cold water intake, but again, im concerned that the water pressure would blow the whole thing up.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
ELLETHEKITTY said:
Can I buy an adaptor and set this up with the regular tap, either in the kitchen or the bathroom?

There might be such an adapter available, but I would suspect (without knowing for sure) the typical kitchen or bath spigot (where the water actually comes out) could not stand the pressure.

ELLETHEKITTY said:
i also have an outdoor hose tap that could easily be hooked up to the cold water intake, but again, im concerned that the water pressure would blow the whole thing up.

Someone in an appliance store should be able to answer the pressure question, but yes, any spigot that will accept the proper hose should work. You would need to be sure to disconnect the hose from any outside source after each use during winter, of course, lest something or everything freeze and burst. Also, I believe you will have to put a cap on the hot water connection on the back of the washer if you only connect to the cold water inlet. Otherwise, setting the temperature dial to "warm" would let cold water shoot out the hot water inlet. Or, you can use a "Y" hose to supply water from one source to both inlets.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is my opinion that you would be wise to install the proper hose bibs in the basement for hot and cold water. I really like the ones that are designed for a washer that have a single lever that turns both hot and cold water off, but any regular hose bib will work. Water supplies should be turned off when not in use. I know you don't feel the drain will be a problem, but just in case you are not aware of the drain requirements of newer washers, you should know that the drain must have a 2" standpipe, be trapped and vented. Older machines did not drain nearly as fast as new machines, so the larger drain is necessary.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i agree with Gary.

Getting cold water into the washing machine is possible with many scenarios, but it's a lot wiser to do it right and it's not a big deal to get it done, or plan it out and do it yourself.

The drain is important. In Canada the Code only calls for a drain with 1.5" diameter, just like it used to be in the US. Whether the drain pipe is 2" or 1.5" in diameter, there are limits on what else can be attached to that drain pipe for certain distances (e.g. no toilets close by). Since you have not mentioned the drain, I wonder how you "know" that it won't be a problem. If you are going to drain it into a utility sink (which by definition is quite large), you are probably OK since that method works and it is Code since it handles the major problems with sudsing and backlogging. As far as I know.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks