Washer box & sink question

Users who are viewing this thread

builder59

Reaction score
I am new to plumbing and I want to first say that I live in a small town and am trying to get a plumber to come out but timing is not working out for our schedule. I am quite versed in commercial building and electrical but never dabbled in plumbing. Well time to get dirty!!.
I am installing a washer box in an area with only a couple of inches below the floor joists. There is a drain that I can access in the floor joists if I do the following.
1. I installed the washer box about 42" above the main floor, then installed a 2" drain and a trap 8" below the box.
2. I then took it to the left on a slant where I want to pick up the sink. I have installed a sanitary t with the bottom going to the drain and the top going to the vent.
3. My question is can I tap into the drain coming down with a sanitary t to pick up the trap for my sink. I'm not sure on the codes for a trap below the washer box and I'm not sure if I will get suds in my sink. I will be tapping in 12" below the horizontal drain from the washer box for the sink and then continuing down to my drain to the sewer.
Thanks for anyones help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think the stand pipe needs to be taller before the trap...but wait for a pro.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
builder59 said:
... I then took it to the left on a slant where I want to ...
sounds wrong; i am not a plumber. Mention venting before you ask if anything is right. Use clearer terms please. "taking it to the left on a slant" could mean that the pipe is horizontal, but doesn't sound like it to me. There are at least three things wrong, if I have read this right. One, washer P-trap has to be down near the floor, e.g. 4" from floor. Two, before going to "pick up" any other fixture you have to have venting. Three, no you cannot go pick up the sink that way, for the two reasons preceding this one and also because the piece of pipe coming out of P trap has run horizontally to its vent, never downwards like "on a slant"

david

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

What you are writing, and how we interpret it can be two very different things. An 8" drop to the trap is too short for a washing machine riser, and installing the trap 4" above the floor creates one that is too long. A drawing or picture would be necessary to see if your proposed sink drain connection is proper or illegal.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
builder59 said:
1. I installed the washer box about 42" above the main floor, then installed a 2" drain and a trap 8" below the box.
2. I then took it to the left on a slant where I want to pick up the sink. I have installed a sanitary t with the bottom going to the drain and the top going to the vent.
3. My question is can I tap into the drain coming down with a sanitary t to pick up the trap for my sink. I'm not sure on the codes for a trap below the washer box and I'm not sure if I will get suds in my sink. I will be tapping in 12" below the horizontal drain from the washer box for the sink and then continuing down to my drain to the sewer.
Thanks for anyones help.

1. Your washing machine box should be at least 24" above the trap.
2. That sounds right....
3. If I read that right you should flip it. The san tee for the sink should be above the san tee for the washing machine box.

See attached sketch. It's a quick sketch but you'll get the point.

Attachments

• wm-sink.pdf
    3.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks