Loud Chatter when pump runs

Users who are viewing this thread

MIKE123

Reaction score
Help! I am worried that I may be causing damage to my pump.
When the pressure switch calls for water there is a loud chattering sound that comes from that area. I took of the cover and the contacts clamp down tight with no movement. What is it? and can I fix it myself?
Is it something that needs to be fixed immediately?

P.S. I have a wife due any moment and I am desprate for an answer. I'd hate to have a water shortage and a new born!! babies can be hosed off, right?:D

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think your talking about the pressure switch. If those points are opening and closing fast, you probably have a waterlogged tank.

Yes new born can be hosed off. Use luke warm water.:D

bob..

MIKE123

Reaction score
more info

Thanks for the reply,

The points are operating correctly. In another forum I asked the question and only one person replied saying it may be a check valve in the pump.

Where would that valve be?
Could I replace it?

No baby yet, still waiting for the call.:eek:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't think the check valve would act that way.

Give me a more detailed description of what you have and what is happening.

bob...

MIKE123

Reaction score
more info as requested

Well, as far as equipment I will need to log on when I get home.
I dont beleive I will be able to tell you what size pump I have.

The line comes out of the slab in the form of black plastic, to the valve and then to the expansion tank (I beleive) I will take a Pic when I get home and post It.

the noise doesn't happen all the time (but more often then not)
Its a loud, metalic, rapid, rattle that only sounds when the pump is on. It does not seam to have effected cycle time or pressure.

If I can't get you any more info is it possible to get a couple of ideas so that when I do get a plumber to the house, he/she does not start swapping parts untill they locate the problem?

thanks again,
soon to be dad

MIKE123

Reaction score
yet, more onfo

Franklin submersable motor
1/2 hp
Well-x-trol wx-202
pressure is @ 40 lbs (should and can I raise that?)
Square D pumptrol switch
all installed on nov 2003
I took a pic but I am not sure how to post it.

hope this helps you troublshoot

thanks in advance.

mike

R

Rancher

MIKE123 said:
pressure is @ 40 lbs (should and can I raise that?)
Is this the cuton pressure, or the cutoff pressure? Square D's are adjustable.

Rancher

MIKE123

Reaction score
pressure

it is the reading on the gauge.
As for the adjustment...
I fiddeled with it years ago when there was a huge drop in pressure as the well kicked on and resolved that (a little).
could my adjustment have started my problem with the noise?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mike,
i get that chatter sound sometimes when i first start up a new system.I always hear it coming from the check valve. Once the pressure builds up it usually stop making that noise. If your pumps shut off pressure is at 40 psi,its way too low and I'll bet once you increase the shut off pressure to 60 psi that noise might disappear. Simply adjust the nut on the larger spring clockwise until your pressure comes up to 60 psi. Each time you rotate that nut push down the plate on the switch to activate the pump. Keep doing that until you have reached that 60lbs. of pressure. Once you are done doing that make sure you have enough air in the tank. Your pump should be turning on at 40 psi so there should be 38lbs of pressure in your tank. Drain down the tank and check the air pressure with a tire gauge.

SAM

MIKE123

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the info sam!
I never relized that those tankes were pressurised manually, I thought it wat the well pump that did that. I will try it when I get home.
IF the pump does not turn on at 40lbs then how do I adjust for that?

thanks again sam.

MIKE123

Reaction score
Control Box

I have never seen the control box.
Is it possible there is not one?
I believe I have seen them in other homes
but I never saw one in my house.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You probably have a two wire pump which doesn't require one. I admit, I have no idea what this noise is. Try again to post the pic, maybe that will give us a hint.

bob...

R

Rancher

At the bottom of the reply to thread box.

Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

MIKE123

Reaction score
picture

here is the pic you requested

Attachments

• IMG_1738.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 558
R

Rancher

OK, there's a check valve in the submersible pump, so that above ground check valve may be causing problems, that's the first brass thing past the black poly pipe. Turn off the power, remove that valve and while you have the water drained out of the tank, check the pressure at the tire valve at the top of the tank, it needs to be set 2 psi less than the cut on pressure of the pressure switch. Then hook it all back up and tell us if that fixed it. And some of the well guys don't like that ball valve on the output of the tank, but as long as you are sure the new baby won't close it and fry your pump it should be ok.

Close that ball valve before you start so the water in the house doesn't drain back.

Rancher

MIKE123

Reaction score
starting the repairs

before I read ranchers latest post, I started to increase the pressure turning the large nut clockwise and pressing the plate every so often, the gauge did not move off of 40
so...
I draind the tank and took a reading.... 38
then I turned the pump back on and took a reading.... 55
I turned the nut some more.... 60

so now the question is... is that reading (from the air valve) what the gauge (attached to the plumbing) should be reading?

the gauge never moved off of 40 threw out the entire process.

I will replace the gauge.
but off course (with my luck) there is no noise now and wasn't any yet today. so I will wait to take it apart further untill it shows up again.

Rancher,
when you said to take it appart (the check valve), did you mean to replace it or just put it back together again?

also, what does closing the ball valve do to the pump?

thanks againg for your time and effort!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THe pressure in the tank is your water pressure unless the tank is empty of water. As you compress the bladder in the tank, the air compresses - the pressure is the same on both sides.

Having two check valves can cause problems...you should only have one at the pump. If that one leaks, then you need to fix it. Trying to hold a potentially very long column of water with the check valve at the top of the well creates a lot of vacuum and it usually ends up leaking after awhile, plus, when they don't open/close properly, you get banging. Basically, try removing the check valve by the tank.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mike,
closing that valve will not do anything to that pump. If someone closes it you will simply have no water. If its closed half way you will simply have less water pressure. I would get a new gauge and it sounds like the pressure increase might have resolved your problem.

SAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks