submersible or jet well

Users who are viewing this thread

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
I have done a few searches and read more post than my brain can handle. I have one question, but it seems to be hiding from me somewhere on this board. :)

What type of well is better long term as far as upkeep, cost, etc…….. I hear a lot of people talking about submersible wells, but my sister has an above ground that works good for her.

I have a house with 2 bathrooms and 6 full-time residences, plus I will have a 14 stall barn being built to house my horses. Horses can drink a good amount of water so I want to have enough to supply them and us.

Let me know what you all think would work best for my family.

On a side note the 22 acres has a well on the front of the property about 1000 feet from where I am building my new house. I think it is an above ground pump, but I am not sure how to tell 100%. I know nothing about the well as the previous owner went to prison for many years and I got no information from him. Would it be worth investigating the existing well?

Thanks,
Troy

Speedbump

Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to look into the old well. Just call a well driller in your area and have him check it out for you.

I would want a deep well with a submersible pump. Not a shallow well with a jet pump. The deep well will usually have better water than surface water. But ask the driller, he will know best. All areas are different.

bob...

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
So if that well does not work out what would be best an above or underground setup?

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Is there any way for me to tell if my system is a deep well or not?

Last edited:

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
depth of the well will make a lot of difference,

a one pipe jet pump will pull max 21 feet, or (that is very close) and if the foot valve leaks you will have to re prime it,

they make a two pipe jet pump that can pump deeper, about 75 feet, the injector is down in the well,

a submersible can pump from great depths,
by sizing the correct pump and stages and horse power, up to 1000' deep probably deeper if needed,

another consideration would casing size,

and the gallons per min you need and pressures, (also the gallons per min the well can produce).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on the well depth,
"go fishing"
drop a weight (make sure it is heavy enough you will be able to tell when it hits the bottom) down the well on a string and when it hits the bottom mark the string, and then pull it up and measure the length of the string, (use a string that will not stretch much, you should be able to tell how much water the well has in it as well by how far up on the string the water is,

Last edited:

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
My sister has an above ground pump and the well is 165 feet. She has a single pipe running into the ground. How is this? I thought jet wells were max 25 with one pipe and 75 with two.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's the water level not the well depth that determines the difference between deep and shallow.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks