(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replacing a closet toilet flange

Smile replacing a closet toilet flange

I need to replace the closet flange on my hall toilet and all the things I have read say you have to seal it, attach it, glue it, etc, but none tell me what to attach it with.......is there a special cement that you use to do this.....and do I dig out the old concrete first? if so how much? and what is the best tool to use for that? I am assuming that it has to be flush with the floor so I am thinking I need to remove enough of the concrete to make it flush with the floor but I don't know....and how long do you have to let it cure before you can put the toilet back on?......it seems to me it would be better if it were somhow bolted to the cement but I have not seen any forums that suggest that or how it would be done......can someone help this granny wanna be weekend warrior?

Default Deb

This granny is happy to give you advise.
    How this is attached and what kind of material your drain pipes are made of determine how it is repaired. How have you determined that you need a new closet flange? You may be better off checking out flange repair kits that are available.
    To replace the flange, all the concrete around the flange will need to be chipped away (this requires at the very least a hammer drill). You need to remove enough concrete so that you have room to work. You need to be able to cut the old flange out and reattach--you may have to go to a horizontal pipe since alot of closet flanges are close connected to the closet bend. Each different type of material has its own special glue. The closet flange sits on top of the finish floor. The closet flange MUST be bolted to the floor with concrete anchors. The toilet bolts to that.
    So, if you cannot get a repair flange ring to work, this may be beyond something that you want to tackle. Replacing a flange on concrete is NOT fun.
    Deb
    The Pipewench

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney LonnythePlumber's Avatar

Default Between Grannies

I don't want to get in between grannies but if the pipe is cast iron won't a mechanical CI flange work? And why does she need to replace it? Perhaps just the slot is broken and a spanner flange would work. What kind of pipe seems to determine the repair.

Thank you both for replying......I can use all the help I can get......I would send you pictures if I could figure out how to....the flange is completely broken off the floor.......I have no idea what the pipe is......but the closet flange is some kind of metal and its broken.....it looks like it was never bolted just cemented in.........I went to home depot and bought a new closet flange and bolts as it has holes for bolts on it.....its brass.......they only had brass and looked like pvc plastic...and I didn't think plastic would be good....you may know something I don't on that.......just seems to me the brass metal would be better......the lip on the new flange is about an inch and half deep and pretty thin about 1/8 inch thick I would say........so I figured I would have to dig out that deep at least to set it in.......but was wondering if I needed to cement it again before I bolt it......what is best to use for digging out old cement if the hammer drill is the least it sounds like it may not be the best to use.....I used a special cement saw that I attached to my craftsman all in one for my tile grout removal and it cut right through it......could I use the same thing to do the cement? ..its great for cutting a straight line....I don't know how easy the circle is going to be........I have the sears cutting tool and I just put the saw on it and removed the grout.....it was not fun.......but I got it done....and I had to vacuum up the entire room afterwards it went everywhere.....but I got it out.....or should I rent a tool that is made for that at home depot?...I have a drill if there is an attachment that works on it for cement and I have all kinds of attachments for the cutting tool.......it has a bit for concrete and is a circular saw/router/free hand scroll saw and its called the all in one cutting tool so I could set it to cut a circle but I don't know if that is best....it doesn't look like it would cut deep enough....I think renting a tool would be lots less than hiring a plumber ......so I am open to that.....when you get a chance let me know what you think.......thanks again.

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney LonnythePlumber's Avatar

Default Wrong Flange

Your flange has to be compatible with the pipe. Do not use a PVC glue flange for cast iron pipe. Deb the Pipewench will probably say a cast iron or PVC flange that goes on the outside of the pipe and tightens onto the pipe. The flange is then anchored into the cement. You should not need to break out very much more concrete.

Default pictures I hope

link
    see if this works to get the pictures????????

Default Deb

No picture.
    What is the inside diameter of the pipe that we are dealing with? We have different options depending on pipe size. The mechanical CI flange will work well if all of the old flange is gone and you have 4" (which is probably if it is cast). This fits inside and tightens against the walls of the 4" to secure it. ALL flanges, no matter what type, will need to be anchored to the concrete, so you always need to be careful that you do not take out too much concrete around the pipe or you will have nothing to anchor to. Try to identify the type of material we are dealing with too. Like Lonny said, the repair and type of flange you need depend on the material we are working with.
    Deb
    The Pipewench

Arrow RE: pictures I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Granny2HWBLGJJ
    link
    see if this works to get the pictures????????
    To post pictures directly here in this forum without providing a link, use the icon in the message composing area. You can "Insert Image" or "Insert Hyperlink".
    e-plumber

Default toilet flange pic

ok I think I got it attached......when I click on the insert picture it just gives me a http script......it measures 4 inches
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Granny2HWBLGJJ; 09-22-2004 at 09:35 PM. Reason: add size of pipe

do you mean the flange goes down in the pipe rather than on the outside of it so you don't have to dig the concrete out?????

Default Deb

Yes! Let's put a smiley face on that one!
    They make a flange that you can insert inside the 4" pipe and it has tighteners that will tighten it to the existing pipe. The flange will still need to be anchored to the concrete floor with concrete anchors of some kind, but that is generally fairly easy.
    Also, I always double nut closet bolts--I attach the closet bolts to the flange with one washer and nut and then set the toilet and attach the secong set. Years down the road when the toilet needs to be removed for some reason, you will most likely be able to get the nuts off without hacksawing them off.
    Deb
    The Pipewench

I feel like singing the Hallelujah chorus and dancin a jig......so no concrete just bolts and tools??? I will let choo know how I survive the plumbing supply k? Thank-you thank-you thank-you!!! ({{{{{{{{{DEB}}}}}}}}}}}}<------squshy cyber hugs......

Smile hugs for helpin'

{{{{{{{{{Lonnie the plumber too}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Smile

ok this is what they tell me is the CI mechanical flange .....it looks plastic but its a hard plastic.....is this the critter I need? there was a plumber at the supply place that said I needed to file down the top of the pipe to make sure no lead was sticking up.....I don't think any is sticking up but there is excess concrete that looks like what the old one was seated in.....if this is the right thing I will go ahead and put my tile in and then install it.........thanks for all your help ........you have just been super
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default sorry bout all the posts .........

but I forgot to ask.......do I need to clean the soil drian and if so what do you use to do that? can't say that I have ever scrubbed the inside of a toilet pipe so I don't have a clue what is ok to use to do it.......bleach? comet? green scrub pad? yuk but I figure if we flush that sorta thing we should be able to use it on the actual cleaning of the pipe if that needs to be done to put in the CI flange........it looks like the wax from the wax ring may have run down the sides of the pipe ....I know I probly sound so silly to you experienced folks.....but I won't know if I don't ask.....