best pump for cabin shallow well

Users who are viewing this thread

L.SMITH

Reaction score
My father-in-law has cabin with shallow well and medium sized solar charging system. We are currently using a pony style d.c. pump running directly to kitchen sink with switch to turn on/off. Problems are: low flow(due to size of pump) and maintenance required on pump due to moisture as it is located just above water in well to reduce head requirement. I would like to use a more maintenance free pump. Have you ever used a sump style pump for water supply from shallow well? Could they pump up ten feet from well bottom and supply good flow to cabin downhill approx. 80 feet. Secondly, can sump style pumps develop enough pressure to use a bladder tank? I am looking at a sump style pump, as I don't want him to have to prime jet pump, keep as maintenance free as possible. I can hook-up a relay and remote switch to run sump pump from cabin, or hook-up a pressure switch to fill bladder tank.
Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
Sump pumps are not pressure builders.

If this well is deep enough, you can use a regular 4" submersible pump.

bob...

NealinNevada

Reaction score
In my Nevada place, I have a dc setup which might interest you and help you with your problem. My place had a setup like you have described when I bought it...worthless. I then built the system below:

In my well I have, at 130' (static water at 35'), a Shurflo 9300 series, 24 volt dc pump. I power the pump with a small solar panel (2-48 watt, 16 V panels hooked in series). I then pump the water into an underground cistern (2000 gal). Then I use a small (1/2 hp) pump to lift the water from the cistern and pressurize an 80 gal air-bladder pressure tank. The 1/2 hp pump runs off a small battery bank (4-Interstate 6-volt deep cycle batteries hooked in parallel-series to make 24 volts) which is charged through the same solar panel. This setup has required no service (other than checking water in batteries) in five years and delivers 30 psi water to my place, night and day. I put all the material in a small insulated building I put up directly over the cistern.

In your application, you could just put a cistern at the top of the hill (where the well is, right?), install the solar panels, drop the Shurflo 24vdc pump into the well and discharge into the tank. Then gravity feed the water to the cabin. At cabin shutdown, just take the solar panels down and drain the cistern.

Last edited:

kinghan08

Reaction score
solar pump

Hi, every one.

I am jack.han from jiangsu huagaung solar tech co.,ltd. which is a professional solar pump manufacture, 24 DC AND 36v DCpump, with high quality and best price, we had got big marketing in globel marketing.
If you want to know more information, pls contact with me : my e-mail: jackhansolar@126.com or MSN:kinghan08@hotmail.com
Thank you. and welcome.
Jackhan

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have an inverter system you have some options.

I installed a pair of 1/2 HP shallow well jet pumps (120 Volts AC) in a remote area that operated (one at a time) off an inverter. The secret to doing it is to get a pump with a "Permanent Split Capacitor" motor, because the PSC motor draws the lowest starting current.

They had a 2500 Watt inverter but I don't know how small you could go and still make it work. Check out items 190136685117 and 140144035080 on that famous auction site, and you can search for others in a suitable size range.

You don't want a big inverter idling along when not in use. You could use the pressure switch to operate a contactor to turn on the inverter, or the pressure switch alone if there is an accessible control switch contact in the inverter.

The only jet pumps that I found with PSC motors were the Myers QD series and I used the QD50S because it was the smallest pump available.

You want a motor with the lowest "Locked Rotor Amps".

The motors have a big plastic box on the top that is fragile to ship so if you get it on-line you need to plan to pay extra for packaging if you want the pump to work when you get it.

I found the pumps at http://www.wwpp.us/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks