bathroom p trap wall pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Eltorro

Reaction score
My house was built in early 70's..No plastic..I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall..I needed a longer one.
It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe..I can tell with my finger that there is a ridge in there where a gasket could fit..
What would I call it at Home Depot or should I just load it up with silicone?
It is a 1 1/2 " waste pipe..

Pic of what I am seeing is at http://home.comcast.net/~richandellen/DSC00843.JPG

Dick.

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Dick, what you do is remove the entire threaded adapter out of that female thread , that what you see is screwed into a female tee, once you remove this adapter screw in a plastic male threaded adapter and install a a new trap from there, use ABS or PVC

DSC00843.jpg

Last edited:

Eltorro

Reaction score
First thank you very much..This is a very tight area for hack sawing..
Are you saying to cut the part that looks like a 6 pointed nut?
It looks like the female thread is part of the nut looking thing..so
I'd cut from the inside..right?
What would that plastic male adapter be called??
Sorry I don't use plumbers language..
I was also hoping to use the chrome waste pipe out of the wall..

Dick.

Last edited:

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
See where the blue line I show, at the ends is as far as you need to cut to, once cuts are made the leaded adapter will be able to be removed from that female thread, then get a 1-1/2" Male adapter or even a 1-1/2" brass nipple at length you need it to be, Teflon tape the male thread, screw it into the female thread that you see after you have removed that old adapter out of there.

Cut from inside to the outside only to where I show the blue ended lines..

Then you can install your new trap, what ever type you want.

Last edited:

Eltorro

Reaction score
How is the new trap sealed to the new adapter?
There are no threads on the chrome wall waste pipes I've seen..
Dick.

Eltorro

Reaction score
It looks like the material is lead..inside the female threads..
I can't use a propane torch?
Please don't laugh...
The plastic adapter will be behind the wall??
Where can I send my check I really appreciate it..
Dick.

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't use a torch, that adapter you see is what they used way back then, it screws into that female threaded 90 in the wall, you will get the picture once you get a small part of the adapter out of there, cut in several places so it comes out with ease, once out you use a new threaded nipple that will have threads on both ends, one end screws into that 90 and the other threaded end will accept the trap nut, that why I told you to get one to the length you need, they come in many lengths, from all thread/close up to 6" in length.

Last edited:

Eltorro

Reaction score
That threaded opening is really 1 1/2??
Even thought the chrome trap is advertised as 1 1/2 it is quite a bit less..
Dick.

Eltorro

Reaction score
I have no idea what length I need..hard to visualize when I haven't seen these respective parts put together..I just don't know how I can tighten nuts
or whatever is used to seal the p trap to the adapter behind that wall with such a small opening.

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Go to a plumbing store, look at the threaded 1-1/2" nipples, there will be a length you will need to get that will extend out the wall, it need to extend a min of 3/4" to 1" you have to be the judge. It can extend as far as you like, it's your choice, and depends on position of the trap connection.

But before you do this you have to remove that old adapter out of there, there is no other way.

Traps are just undersized out of the package, that is why washers are used the seal the trap to the pipe stub out.

Eltorro

Reaction score
Thanks again..There was a nice shinny crome pipe that went into the wall and there is was chrome cover that goes covers the wall hole.
This is what I am stuck on..if the adaper is out 3/4" it can't work that way..
Is there someplace on the net you know of..don't go looking..I can..that will have a drawing or picture of what we have discussed?
Maybe when you said extend you didn't mean beyond the living space wall??
The old adapter is about 1 3/4 inches from the finished wall..
Sorry for being thick as a brick..

Dick.

Eltorro

Reaction score
I think I have it..the trap nut with some rubber washer screws on the end of the nipple..Then you slide the waste pipe into it..
Dick.

Eltorro

Reaction score
Well thanks it worked as you said..
I was hoping I could tell when I cut too far but the part screwing into the female portion is also brass.. thought I could uses the filings as a tip off to stop cutting..Took out a small section and was able to use my screwdriver to unscrew it..
Had some washer problems with adapting 1 1/4 to 1 1/2..the pop up sink drain
for some reason is reduced to 1 1/4..
Thanks again..

Dick.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks