How to connect a second storage tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

weekender

Reaction score
I have an existing 300gal above ground storage tank with a float switch to turn on and off my pump jet pump. I’d like to add a 2nd 300gal tank for added capacity in case of water shortages.

How do I connect a 2nd storage tank to my 1st one so they will act like one large tank?

Speedbump

Reaction score
You could run a pipe between them at the bottom so they would both seek the same level. Or if you ran a pipe between them in the shape of an upside down U, that was full of water, the syphon would keep them at the same level as long as the level didn't get low enough for the pipe to get air.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume that you are going to put both tanks at same level so they will operate at the same level. If that is not the case, come back for more info on how to manage it.

I don't like the inverted U because it is too easy to get a bubble in it. You can do it in other ways to avoid that problem.

I like to connect the tanks in series to avoid stagnation. Run the pipe from the source into the top of the first tank. Then pipe from the bottom of the first to the top of the second. Then pipe from the bottom of the second to your second pump or other distribution point. In this setup it is necessary to have the float control in the second tank, and the pipe from the first to second tank should be the full 2" pipe that is the usual outlet. No point of the pipe from first tank to second should be higher than the inlet to the second tank.

The other way is to connect the two tanks at the bottom outlets with the outlet to your system from a tee off the pipe between the two tanks. With that setup you can use the float switch on either tank.

I usually put the switch in the tank that is slightly higher, but set so it doesn't allow the lower tank to overflow. That gives you a little more clearance to install the switch.

If you are pumping from the tanks, you should have a float switch to detect "low water in the tank" condition to shut off the pump to prevent it from running dry and destroying the pump.

weekender

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like my most convenient solution is to connect the tanks together at the bottom since I already have the float switch connected in my original tank. In order to avoid stagnation, how often would you recommend the tanks be emptied? Water may sit in the tanks for 3-4 weeks at a time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks