How to clean attic mold?

Users who are viewing this thread

enviroko

Reaction score
The house we just bought has a mold problem. The bath fan was vented to the attic which has created a mold area of about 100 sq ft. Some of this area is very hard to reach, it runs up close to the soffit.

Anyone have any good DIY ideas to make cleaning this easier? Scrubbing most of it is too tough to get to because of the low angled roof. I thought about trying a steam clean it using something like this... http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/ladybug-xl-vapor-steam-cleaner.html

What do you think?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mold

Spray it with bleach or some cleaner that has a lot of bleach in it. But it will come back unless you fix all the problems that are causing it.

Here's a link for more info:http://www.schatzmold.com/attic-mold/

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
1 gallon of water, add to that

1 cup of bleach, stir and add to that

1/8 cup fabric softener

stir and use with a sprayer and brush with long pole to reach hard to get at areas but like Verdeboy said you must remedy the cause first or you will have waised you time and energy.

enviroko

Reaction score
I have corrected the ventilation problem by installing a roof vent kit. I think I'm going to try a steam cleaner. Trying to place tarps to catch the water via scrubbing with a brush is going to be too much of a pain. The highest point in this attic is about three feet.

BS

Reaction score
I hope you used metal duct and taped the joints with metal tape (not duct tape). If you used vinyl drier vent (expandable) duct, you can never get as good a seal and would be asking for moisture problems again in the future.

- Bernie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks