Strange leak from washing machine

Users who are viewing this thread

seemomgo

Reaction score
My whirlpool washer is 9 years old. It washes fine, but a few hours AFTER washing, there is a puddle of water on the floor under the washer - mostly toward the front end.
The hoses and connections are fine...why would a leak show up so long after washing, and how do I repair it? I'd appreciate any replies as the Whirlpool customer service was of no help at all.

Thanks!

Jasonmcl

Reaction score
Sounds like the pump

I had the same problem and it ended up being the pump. I replaced it myself for $40. Look for corrosion on the motor shaft connected to the pump to be sure.

Keithdeanne

Reaction score
could also be the mixing valve located on the top of the washing maching tub.
It's a tiny plastic peice that looks like an cone and surrounded by a rubber sheath. the sheath could be your problem. after time it drys out and cracks and then leaks causing the puddle you are noticing.

seemomgo

Reaction score
removed pump...

I've gotten as far as opening up the washing machine...I removed the pump and water came flowing out when I disconnected the bottom hose (which connects to the drainage hose and out to the wall...sorry I don't know the technical terms for everything.) There was also a little bit of water in the pump as well.

Does that sound like a pump problem or something else?
Thanks!!!

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
You should have left all the parts intact and removed the cabinet. First, unplug the machine! Cabinet comes off easily by unsnapping the plastic covers each side of the console, screws at each side and bottom of the console, then prying off the the two retaining clips. Unplug the wires. Swivel the console back on it's hinges, tilt the cabinet forward and lift it off the pegs on the base. You can then observe where the leak is coming from. Front of the machine leak suggests the hose connections to the pump, or the pump itself is not sealed properly. I suggest you purchase a repair manual. This is a good site for washer repairs. http://www.bobvila.com/BBS/Appliances/flat-page1.html

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't really answer your original questions. Water leaks after the machine is off because there is always some residual water left. That's why it must be winterized with RV anti-freeze if left in an unheated area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks