Help plumbers cant find the leak!

Users who are viewing this thread

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Hey another idea

Could this be a roof jack leak ???? Was the ceiling damage in wet weather?

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
Have you talked to the upstairs neighbor?

and simply told them you have a leak coming from there bath above you? and asked them if they had or done any thing different at the times when you noticed the leak, (like fill the tub to the over flow (the silver thing on the end of the tub, some times has the a drain lever in it)?

doing a little talking may go a long way,

There is no way any one here can fix it, they can only give you some ideas on how to go about the process of elimination,

And saying it leaked 5,3, 2, ago doesnt mean any except for it is an interment problem, so if the neighbor always takes a bath until the water is running out the over flow ever night, then more than likely it is not the over flow, but if they took a long bath 5, 3, and 2, months ago and they did fill the tub to the over flow, then more than likely it is the overflow on the tub, or some how had a over flow on the toilet, or some other minor disaster that would have allowed water to leak through the floor?

If they never did then more than likely you will have to look else where, and you may have to tear out the ceiling and start to figure what is causing it,

IF it happened after a big rain storm it could be a pipe flashing (on the roof leaking around a pipe,)

All these things have been said before, now you have to do some detective work. or hire some one to do it for you.

and if the upstairs neighbor is not cooperative then you will have to get the condo management involved, (which I would think this would be in there jurisdiction to begin with), and should be notified, as the problem is not actually yours it is the unit above you, your jsut suffering the consequences,
they may even have a handy man or a plumber on call.

even if you do get a plumber in, and he figures it out he will more than likely have to enter the above unit to make the repairs.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
what HandyAndy said. I could repeat every word above. Only talking to the upstairs people will work. It's an intermittent problem, and that sounds like a direct correlation to an occasional deep soaking bath. A long interview process will uncover their habits. The condo association will help you "make them realize" this is important and that either you need to know, or they need to spend the time themselves reflecting and remembering what they did. Hiring a plumber is a good alternative but that still requires a lot of cooperation from the neighbors. Anyone can diagnose this, not just a plumber. You have all the information you need in the preceding posts, even a checklist. Who could have thought in advacne that you would get so much good work from so many good people? :)

david

plumbingenigma

Reaction score
still no luck

had plumber, TJ, come out this thursday...Plumber was very honest and methodical but still no gosh darn leak. Plumber explained everthing very well and he was very straightforward and honest. My neighbor on the other hand was a little disgruntled and uncooperative until I said that I was willing to pay for anything as long as I can find this darn leak...funny how that works...anyway my neighbor said he was on his way to work and yadayadayada but two three hours into the inspection he was still there...anyway funny how people just dont want to admit fault/guilt...the plumber did all the usual and gosh darn it no darn leak! he did all the tests that we had posted and still no leak...Heres my hypothesis...I think my neighbor overflows his tub every so freakin often and he just does not want to admit it or he just retiled or regrouted his bathroom and was able to fix the leak that was there before. Anyway I've given up at this time...I have to see if the leak reappears after this test...I think my neighbor is fed up with the whole process but so what who cares...i just wanted to find the leak...but for now i have to just bite the bullet and wait and see if this thing leaks again...I am putting a 100 dollar reward to anybody in chicago that can find and solve this problem...im starting to think that I'm crazy because when I told the plumber about the leak he was not sure about whether I was describing it accurately...he was questioning how a quarter bucket full of leak can happen in one day and not happen the next...but like i said I'm done with this bathroom for now...I hope my neighbor fixed watever needed to be fixed in his unit and may he rot in hell coz he was not very forthcoming with information when I asked what he was doing that night (2-230 am) He basically said that nobody was up at that time...when I know when I looked out the door that I saw that his lights were on and i could hear the water coming from the upstairs...what a fool...I think he just did not want to admit that the tub overflowed or that he had fixed the bathroom recently...thanks for all your help everybody...and thanks for letting me vent...wooosh

Dan Pick

Reaction score
Shoot the neighbor! Problem solved. Neighbors like that should live in a tent somewhere in the mountains alone.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I think the plumber needs to inspect the neighbors bathroom for the leak.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
corner spashes for tub

is the dumbass upstairs
simply not closing his shower curtain when he takes
a shower??

We find that a lot and we just install some of those
plastic corner guards on both ends of the tub.....

if the fellow was up at 2.30 with the water on
its a good guess that is what is going on

10 bucks and a tube of silicone to glue then in
place ought to take of this neighbor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks