Thread sealing... pipe or dope?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hube

Reaction score
After making the connection to my house water filter, I noticed a very small leak where the 3/4" threaded plastic(mip) adaptor fitting goes into the filters' housing.
I unscrewed it, and removed the old teflon tape and applied new tape, wrapped tightly about 3 times around the threads and re-installed it.
Again it still has a very small leak(drip). I have turned this fitting in as tight as I dare to go so as to not damage the housing of the filter.
Should I try installing it again with more teflon wrapping, or is there a better thread sealant than teflon.?
Perhaps "pipe dope" is the answer.
what would you pros suggest?
Thanks for any reply.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I am no pro, but I believe pipe dope and plumber's putty should not be used on plastic. Take a close look at the threads on both parts, and maybe you will see some imperfection that could be tearing your tape on the way in. Or, maybe a different part would work better. With all of the various manufacturers around the world making fittings and so on, it is just not possible to believe all fittings are made to exact and precise tapers and tolerances.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
They do make a teflon-based pipe dope, which is suited for plastic. I'd try wrapping it a little more with teflon tape first to see if that solves the problem.

pipe-dope-dope.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use tape and dope. I seldom have leaks. Most dopes are safe for plastic. The labels on the cans tell you what they are combatible with.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
kordts said:
I use tape and dope.
My experience is that you have to use one or the other, but not both. The tape seems to slide all over the place if you put it on with pipe dope. What's your technique?

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I buy the cheap tape on ****. I wrap 3 or 4 times then use the dope. The reason I do this is because almost all the fittings are made overseas. Now Taiwan or India means an upgrade over the chinese junk.

Hardt

Reaction score
bad housing?

This may not be your problem but in my case, I've had similar problems and the causes were hairline cracks in the plastic housing. The blue/green plastic housing I thought was deteriorating because of UV rays from the sun so I made a wood cover for it but the problem persisted. After replacing the filter housing 3 times, and still getting the cracks, I gave up and now use a faucet filter. Good luck...

Hube

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys.As far as I can see there is no hairline crack in the housing,just a very, very small leak at the adaptor thread, so I am going to purchase a small tube of the pipe dope (plumbing shop) that has liquid teflon in it. It is supposed to be safe for plastics too. Im going to wait a week or so before doing this fix,because who knows, it may just "seal" itself.
Thanks again. Hube

de3rox

Reaction score
I have been having the same problem. I recently had to replace a valve comming from my sprinklers vacuum breaker. All my solder joints are good as gold. The problems I have is the drain spigot in the basement leaks and also where I attached the new pipe to the PVC leaks as well.

I have redone this project twice already. I have never had a problem with leaky threaded joints until now. Where the copper pipe meets the sprinkler line. I have a plastic coupler. Male threads on on end. The male threads into the copper fitting. The other end of the coupler has barbs that are pushed into the plastic sprinkler line and secured with hose clamps. The leak I have is where the plastic fitting threads into the copper. I have replaced this part twice and am affraid to over tighten it for obvious reasons. Same goes for the drain spigot in the basement. I inspected all the threads and made sure they were clean, wrapped them very well with tape. Thread them together and snug it up and I should be good to go. or so I thought. :-(

Any clue as to why the threaded joints are leaking. Im at my wits end here. Wraping threads with tape and screwing them in is basic plumbing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you tried adding teflon pipe dope over the teflon tape as mentioned above?

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I use teflon tape _ONLY_ -- Each time I have used "dope" I feel like a dope because I end up with nothing but problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks