frameless shower glass question

Users who are viewing this thread

rick57

Reaction score
Folks:

I'm doing a master bath remodel, and am having an issue deciding whether to attach the frameless shower glass which will create the front of the new shower with U channels or clamps. The shower is L shaped, and the back and side walls are all tile and the front walls are glass. The short tip of the L is the door. The glass walls aren't real big; around 30 inches each in length, about 70 inches high, and there's only two right angles where the glass meets, one in the middle of the shower, and the other is where the door is with a small side panel.

The installer I've got an estimate from for reason is shying away from using all clamps and wants to use U channels. I personally view the clamps as being less obtrusive visually than a frame of U channels, but for some reason he doesn't want to hold the glass frames in place with clamps. He really doesn't give me a straight answer why, except for his personal feeling of aesthetics.

Am I wrong here, or is the use of U channel in this installation something that is near mandatory? I think a totally frameless look with just clamps would look better. Or is it that the installer is worried about the silicone that would make the installation watertight could eventually grow mold?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
rick57 said:
.... is the use of U channel in this installation something that is near mandatory? I think a totally frameless look .....
he is giving himself tons of margin for error and ease of installtion.

I installed a glass panel with NO channel and NO clamps. It took me months to convince the glass guys to do it. Pure silicone on three sides. No hardware.

These guys had to recut my glass door three times, at their expense, because they either made mistakes or thought i wouldn't notice that what they delivered was not as good as what i ordered and they had agreed to do. They always wanted to have a good amoutn of extra space everwhere so that they coudl install it like they do for everyone else. They eventually became just as demanding as I was, as a matter of personal pride. It was like bringing up baby.

david

rick57

Reaction score
That's interesting to hear. I suspected that it was easier to install with a U channel and that there was more margin for error in the glass cutting. I'll ask for a new estimate and see what the difference is.

Dan Pick

Reaction score
The Impossible just takes a little longer

You gotta remember a lot of installers are always looking for the easiest way to install with the greatest margin or error to correct any and all unforseen errors.

I agree with Geniescience that it can be done with no clamps or u channel. You have to remember shower walls and doors have water splashed on them maybe a few times a day. These huge fish aquariums are 100% sealed watertight with a good amount of head pressure behind it. Have it done your way or find an installer with a little more skill or the ability to think outside the box...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks