Kitchen Sink Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
more venting please

In your original post you asked whether you need an undersink vent. The answer is looking more and more like Yes by all standards.

You just mentioned "all the pipes shown", meaning all the white ones, or even the last one that is yellow - beige? Where does that one go once it goes through the floor? In your first post you said you weren't sure about venting in general, in your house. Is there any venting from anywhere else soon after that drain pipe goes through the floor?

If this drain is not well-vented soon after that S trap, it explains your slow kitchen sink drainage. Adding an AAV vent under the sink is a good way to add venting to your whole drain system, and to vent the (new) P trap replacing the S trap. An S trap once vented is no longer an S but now a P trap.

david

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
massillonmarine said:
I really haven't been around my house to do much, but I did fix this horizontal tube thing. It didn't help. I'm not sure if I should do the work to install the undersink vent or if I should just call a plumber.

master plumber mark said:
actually, you could leave that whole drain line alone under the sink if you so wished.... , it isnt right and it isnt pretty....but it will work

massillonmarine said:
I think I am going to take the drain apart and flush it and possibly get a snake for it ...
Do you think I should run drain cleaner into the drain ...?

Any "drain cleaner" other than yourself or an experienced plumber is not likely to make much difference. Clearing that drain line is going to be a mechanical process no liquid can truly duplicate.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would do what I suggested earlier. Install a cleanout in that drain line. An 1.5" wye with a cleanout fitting and a plug will do the trick. Do that, then power rod it. Report back with your results.

Massillonmarine

Reaction score
leejosepho said:
Any "drain cleaner" other than yourself or an experienced plumber is not likely to make much difference. Clearing that drain line is going to be a mechanical process no liquid can truly duplicate.

I took your advice cause it seemed to be the most logical and effortless. It was going to be a ton of work getting all the new stuff I bought to work together. I just took apart the entire drain system and snaked it all out. Then I took the snake and fed it into the ground where it initially goes into the basement floor and spun it for a while. I ran a hot water hose down the same basement floor hole building up pressure and releasing over and over. I put it all back together and now it's seems to be fixed. At least it's not clogging up in the sink. Going down very smooth. I guess I can take all those parts back to the store.

However, I think I might have a broken drain under the basement floor. The sediment in the drain was pitch black. On the left side where it went into the floor it had a substance blocking it that seemed to be like a rock. On the right side where the laundry drains into, there was alot of rock like substances in the bottom of the hole. What do you all think is wrong? I guess I really will have to get a plumber out here for an estimate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks