Anyone use Fiberock?

Users who are viewing this thread

enviroko

Reaction score
I'm putting on my bathroom floor and probably the shower walls. Any opinions on it? I like the fact that it is made from recycled materials and made in my home state, Ohio.

Thanks!

Dan Pick

Reaction score
Good stuff........I used it on my bathroom floor as a water resistant barrier prior to setting tile. Very similar to "Hardibacker". 1/4" is great to work with, but 1/2" is extremely difficult to score and snap even with a carbide scoring tool.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dan Pick said:
Good stuff........I used it on my bathroom floor as a water resistant barrier prior to setting tile. Very similar to "Hardibacker". 1/4" is great to work with, but 1/2" is extremely difficult to score and snap even with a carbide scoring tool.
Is it easier to cut it rather than trying to score and snap it? Using a circ. saw with carbide-tipped blade? Or rotozip with underlayment bit?

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
too much dust. dangerous.

these boards produce a lot of dust, fibrous and cementitious. Dangerous to health. A big wet saw ($1000) will cut it with little dust. A small wet saw will cut it with little dust, but be hard to manouver.

Score and span is the best way to cut it without buying the big wet saw. Some dust is made; it can be reduced by keeping wet sponges on hand and leaving lots of water on the board. Any power tools will throw a thousand times more dust up into the air. Many people have written about how bad that kind of dust is, and how it gets into everything.

About using Fiberock or Hardibacker on a shower wall: technically speaking, they are not waterproof enough to be shower membranes all by themselves. See the web site. Call the manufacturer. You still need waterproofing, either a liquid substance which hardens or a sheet material which you thinset on.

For bathroom floors there is no requirement for a waterproof membrane.

david

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
geniescience said:
these boards produce a lot of dust, fibrous and cementitious.
Naturally, I would want to cut the stuff out of doors.
Would the skil-saw or rotozip do the job?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A carbide blade will cut the stuff, but the dust is both hazardous to you and your tools - very abrasive - it will shorten the life of the thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks