Hot Water Anode Rods

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Wall

Reaction score
I am trying to find out how many anode rods are in a 40 gallon Aero oil fired hot water heater

JCH

Reaction score
Sometimes the dip tube doubles as an anode too. (i.e. 1 dedicated anode + 1 combination anode/dip tube).

Often there is 1 anode for every 6 years of warranty.

If you keep replacing them in time, your tank will last a really really long time (30+ years)

.../j

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
replaceing anodes how often???

I have always wondered if you actallly
replace the anode rods if the heater would
really actually last a lot longer...

or what other factors came into play ....like
high water pressure, minerals in the water
demand on the heater....ect..

I supppose if you did not have anything better to
worry about and could do it yourself, and could get the
rod out of the heater without a fight, it would be cost effective...

calling out a plumber would no tbe wise...

I wonder what the average time span would be
in between change outs???? 4- 5 years??

JCH

Reaction score
It depends on how "hard" your water is. The harder the water going in to the heater, the more conductive the water and therefore the faster the anode will disappear.

And if you are unfortunate enough to have a water "softener" upstream of the tank (i.e. leading into it) then it'll really burn through your anodes in a hurry (6 months) because of the conductive salts that it adds to the water.

Typically, you'd take a peek after 2 years to get a feel for how fast the anode rod is being consumed. Here, our anodes last about 10 years, but we have the (naturally) softest water in North America (less than 10 grains).

A more typical lifetime is 5-6 years.

New anodes are only 20 bucks, so a very worthwhile investment. Much better than going through all the hassle of replacing a leaky tank (which, of course, always happens on weekends)

Most hot water tank warranties read: "only warranteed if the tank contains a *functioning* anode". i.e. they know it will only rust out if there is no anode left.

Hope this helps,
.../j

JCH

Reaction score
I just double-checked with our water board--the water here is only 1.5 grains per gallon (!). No wonder our anodes last so long.

The other major determinant in hot water tank life is whether you've avoid other spots of dissimilar metals by using (non-conducting) dialectric connections between the (steel) tank and the (copper) plumbing in your home.

.../j

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks