HELP!! ASAP!!! Back feeding a Woodford Faucet!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
I am doing a city water main replacement project and need to setup temp water. This means that I run a hose to a house and back feed it though a faucet. However several faucets are Woodford antisiphon. Does anyone know if these can be taken apart and the check valve be removed? I am in desperate need a of a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
What run a hose through a window? How would this work. I would think that there would be a wind, water, dust, ect. problem.

It looks like to me by studying the drawings that the check valve could be removed or a plug could replace the entire mechanism.

I just don't think it is a possibility to actually get a hose inside unless there is a better way that I don't know of.

I have all kinds of adapters so hose or iron pipe thread is not an issue for me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hey, I'm just a plumber.
I've never heard of adapters for the bonnet end of frostfree hose bibs.
I've been plumbing for over thirty years, and darn, you're telling me they make something like that now?

Well if they do, I guess it's a simple matter to disable the antiphon faucet that plumbers have been installing, and use that part you say there is.
So, where do you find a part like that?

It seems it would be almost easier to find an old style faucet and replace the antiphon faucet with it.
That probably does make more sense than opening a window.

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
Sorry for the confusion. I am not sure what the bonnet end is, but I am guessing that it is packing nut. I thought that it might be possible that the packing nut has a iron pipe thread or a hose thread. If this were the case, I would remove the valve stem, hook my hose to the outlet of the faucet, and install a plug instead of the packing nut. it sounds like this is not possible though.

I am not sure if I would be able to install an older style facet, I will consider this. I would like to stay out of peoples homes if possible.

What do you think about removing the check valve part of the valve? Do you think that this would be possible?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Pull the stem and remove the washer. If that doesn't work try cutting the stem so it will still screw in but allow water to flow, then when you are done get a repair kit which includes a new stem and install the new stem. This works all the times I have done it. If the vacuum breaker is working right it will not leak. If it does it needs a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
It would be possible to remove the poppet from the vacuum breaker on an antisiphon faucet, just as it would be possible to convert the VB cap to a sealed one, with some sheet rubber cut to fit.

Counting on faucet manufacturers to have all their thread dimensions match those of actual plugs and caps is kind of a stretch.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Garden hose with any amount of time in use will toxify the water system as lead is one of the key components to making most hoses pliable.

Some but not all people can be reactive to this situation if the hose is used for any length of time.

But then again.......there are tons of lead services out there today still in use.......

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
Piece of cake.

I removed the stem and took off the cup type washer which acts as the check valve. I then reassembled the faucet with a little bit of new packing I picked up at the hardware store and things worked perfectly.

I am using poly pipe and Senniger center pivot drop hose. It is black and very soft. I do not know if it is NSF or for potable water, but the engineer says, "I haven't killed any one with water yet." so, I will continue to use this until the engineer does not accept it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks