frozen outside sump pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Karenjean

Reaction score
how can we keep the outside pipes from the sump pump from freezing in the winter and is it normal for a pump to run every 10 to 20 min. for weeks after a big rain? This is the first year both have happened in the 8 yrs. we've been here.

hiremichaelreid

Reaction score
Main thing is to have a proper slope on the discharge pipe. If it sags in the middle water can collect and freeze. Alternate solutions include heating the pipe or possibly insulating can help, or burying beneath the frost line.

I'm just a homeowner who had a frozen line last month and have read as much as I can. It doesn't appear that there is any such thing as "normal" for sump flow rates; every location has it's own characteristics.

A pump running every 10-20 minutes doesn't seem so bad though, compared to some that cycle every 1-5 minutes. Mine was going pretty often during the thaw last month but now it's silent. Every day lately the level has been going down 1/2 - 1 1/2 inches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks