Can I reuse my tub filler?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYMike

Reaction score
I have remodeled our master bath. The tub fill was in fine working condition. I want to change the layout of the knobs and spout. It is constructed with 1/2 copper sweated into the brass fittings. My question is this - can I "De-sweat" the fittings so I can move things around? If so - once I disassemble everthing, how do I propery "clean, sand, and flux" the brass joints.

Am I better off cutting tubes and splicing onto the copper joints, leaving the copper/brass intact? (yea, would result in more joints than ideal)

Thank you!

DIYMike

Reaction score
Ok - so I read some other posts about copper joints... but this is the brass fitting (to copper).

I unsweated the filler fitting. No problem. I used my inside wire brush and it seems to have worked, but the color of the brushed area is closer to the color of the solder than it is to brass. Is it normal for brass to lighten up in color or is that really just solder that's been brushed?

What should I do?
Thanks.

DIYMike

Reaction score
Nevermind ;)

on closer inspection, it's brass. I'm ready to re-sweat. Thanks anyway.

DIYMike

Reaction score
Correction - mistake revealed

Just in case anyone else has this question - the valve assemblies are factory soldered. I was able to remove the filler connection, but the other two could not be seperated. I had cut the copper tubes too close to the assembly... had I not, I could have reused the rough-in. Cost me $70 for a new roughin for the Moen filler.

Good luck, hope this helps the next person!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't dispair over the money spent on the new valve. Although the old one may have been perfectly serviceable, many of us would consider it foolish to NOT replace the valve once the wall is open. This is a remodel which you will live with for 15 to 30 years! Why not start with all new material?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks