What Kind of Relay does this need??

Users who are viewing this thread

Brad_1234

Reaction score
Hi All!

A friend of mine has a water system based on a submerged pump. The person who used to take care of it is not available to be asked questions.

Im told the system was rather cheap, corners were cut, its broken down several times.

today there was no running water, the problem was traced to the control box where a terminal on a relay was said to "be melted". My friend said the brand name of the relay? is UL. I asked if the "L" was a bit lower than the "U"?? yes.
okay thats probably a "UL" label not the brand.

So it looks like Ive got to drive 4+ hours tomorrow to go check it out if no one else can figure it out there. Im good at testing electrical systems, making splices/cables and all that; just have no clue what kind of relays are commonly used for water pump control systems and where to buy replacement relays or worst case, an entire control system. ?

I tried to ask what kind of relay it was, 12v/24v or how many wires go into it? dont know, and there is no cell phone signal in that area. All I was told is that when it clicks the motor goes and water flows, when it clicks again the water stops and the motor stops, and "...now it doesnt click, and the wire terminal thing is melted"

The area is Ventura Calif, if anyone knows of stores that sell this kind of stuff?? or any experts in that area?

thanks!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I am no expert here, but if the pump is a two-wire pump, that "relay" is probably just a typical pressure switch you can pick up at any hardware store for somewhere around $20.00. But if the pump is a three-wire model, that "relay" is possibly a more-expensive motor-control box that could be a little more difficult to locate quickly.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
"water system based on a submerged pump" might also indicate a lawn sprinkler system fed by the pump, which could make for needing a pump relay. Odds are, a Grainger warehouse would have what's needed.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
You would need to get a better description of that relay. UL means "under writers Laboratories" and is not the name of the relay. If its a 3 wire control box it should be a silver box mounted on the wall. You would need to get the H.P. and voltage off the box in order to get a replacement. If its a pressure switch they are talking about it should be mounted on the plumbing usually in front of the holding tank. It sounds like it could be a pressure switch and the pump is wired for 115 volts. If the pump is short cycling a lot of times it will cause enough heat on the power terminal to melt whatever terminal its wired to.

SAM

R

Rancher

Submersible pump, control box...my control box is painted gray.

Therefore it's probably 3 wire pump. Start with replacing the control box once you find out the HP of the pump.

Grainger
Branch: 446
101 S. Rice Ave.
Oxnard, CA 93030-7235
Phone: (805) 201-3800
Fax: (805) 201-3804

Branch Hours:
7:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Monday - Friday)

Rancher

Brad_1234

Reaction score
Thanks!

thanks everyone for the fast answers, that really helps!

Grainger has about everything, I need to stay away from their catalog or I will go broke.

will let you all know what happens, thanks again

Speedbump

Reaction score
Check my site, I have all that stuff and I don't charge Graingers pricing for it. If you don't see it, call. We will have it.

bob...

R

Rancher

I agree, buy it from Bob if you can, if you need it right now, shop around locally. For my well I carry an extra one of everything, because I can't afford to be out of water.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks