Stainless Sink on Granite, with no brackets - HELP!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

chatapuggy1

Reaction score
OK, the granite is in, new kitchen is almost up and running. The plumber came in today to set in the new sink, its a simple stainless, and was to be mounted on top. What didnt seem right is that the plumber said since I had no brackets to mount the sink in like normally underneath, and that because of the granite, its like 3 to 4 inches, too far for standard brackets to mount, he just put painters caulk around the rim, and set it right on top. Then proceeded to tell me to wait until tomorrow and it will harden a little and be fine.

Caulk for mounting a sink? Sounds like BS to me, maybe for water protection. And with the sink not being perfectly strait from shipping or whatever, it moves a little in the corners, I NEED Brackets. I went to home depot and they only had the standard Elkay Brackets that didnt look fat enough to work.

Any ideas? It is like 3 to 4 inches from the mount strip to the bottom of whatever I can grab, I have got to mount this thing and make it sit tighter...

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the brackets, but if you're going to glue it in place, it should be pure silicone or some type of epoxy. Put enough of that on and it will not move around--just be a bear to remove if you ever want to change out the sink.

chatapuggy1

Reaction score
Appreciate the help, I am thinking about cleaning it up tomorrow and doing the plumber's job all over again, and this time I will use 100% silicone, however, I still need something to clamp it tight until it sits at the least. Right now its slightly warped because there's no pressure holding it down, and you know stainless steel, it doesnt weigh enough to sit itself, and from shipping and moving around, the edges dont all perfectly sit well on thier own.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
brackets

Elkay makes longer clamps, but I don't think they are that long, but you shouldn't need 4"ones anyway. All you have to do is remove some wood where the clamps go so the normal extra long ones will work. Why wasn't the sink undermounted? That is the normal way with granite and looks a lot better.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
If you are going to glue it and it is hooked up, put the stoppers in and fill it wiht water...
20-30 lbs of water should hold it down....
I would notch the wook underlay of the granite myself, but that is up to you....

chatapuggy1

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I picked up some clamps today (longer ones) and it seems its the screw thats the problem, it doesnt extend far enough even for the longer clamps. So I guess this is a perfect excuse to pick up that dremmel tool I always wanted and said I would never use. Looks like notching somewhere will do the trick, I even thought maybe a different screw would do the trick, but the whole point is that the clip screws are backwards so you can tweak them from underneath.

Anyone ever try screw heads in the stainless track and using a nut to tighten underneath the clip?

Oh yeah, undermount looks way better, but I am only living in my condo for a couple of years at the most, it has and will be a rental after that, so I just did a remodel on a lower scale, I didnt want to drop that kind of coin into a small rental kitchen.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
chatapuggy1 said:
Oh yeah, undermount looks way better, but I am only living in my condo for a couple of years at the most, it has and will be a rental after that, so I just did a remodel on a lower scale, I didnt want to drop that kind of coin into a small rental kitchen.
But you install granite countertops. :confused:

chatapuggy1

Reaction score
I know, I know...But I went with one of those prefab cabinets places that include the countertop with the set price, and all they offered was granite. So I went with a real dark "Black Galaxy" so it would hopefully holdup well. I am sure formica or Corian would have done better, but given my time constraints to get this project done so I could move in, and the set price, it worked for me.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Every one I know that has black granite hates it because it shows every speck of dust.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Be careful with what you clean it...on the less expensive (and maybe others as well), they sometimes dye the stone if it isn't very consistent and using the wrong stuff can cause it to lift out exposing the "real" look of that slab.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
My nephew sells granite counters for a living and he said never to clean it with ammonia... He recommended simple green diluted. It will take care of grease and oil, but not ruin the sealer. Also, they mount all of their sinks with 100% clear silicone as mentioned above, even when it is undermount. Aparently it is really strong when it is in a thin layer...

chatapuggy1

Reaction score
OK, got the sink up, cleaning all of the caulk off of it now. But I have a question, I had 100% silicone in my hand, but someone at the store said I would be better off with "Alex2" which contains latex with silicone, because its easier to work with and cleanup. Then someone else was like, no plumbers putty with silicone on the outside when its done is the way to go. I am lost, I got Alex2 in my hand, but I may go back and exchange tomorow before I start setting the sink bank in.

As for the clips, I gave up, no one seems to know what I am talking about, so I am now modiying the standard "Elkay clips", I bend them out to grab the plywood, and then I put them into a vice grip and file out the hole a bit to get the screw to grab. Seems like a bit much, but I get tired of running around to home improvement stores looking for something thats not there.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Alex Plus is basically what the plumber used--painter's caulk-- which you are in the process of removing. I like G.E. 100% silicone for kitchen and bath. Goes on easy, and you can wipe it off your hands with a dry paper towel--then use soap and water to get the vinegar smell off your hands.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Normally, silicon would probably be best. You should do an experiment first, though. Some of the caulks can stain some stone. You wouldn't want a dark, irregular ring around the new sink.

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
I did use longer bolts once. I put the head of bolt in the grove of the sink and just used a small 1" by 2.5" piece of 3/16th aluminum with a off set hole the size of the bolt to one side, put bolt head in grove of sink, slid aluminum bracket over bolt spun so half go's under counter then put washer and locknut on bolt. Seemed to work fine and have not had a callback. You might have to hold the bolt some until it starts to get tight.

Ron

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
use 100% silicone only. don't take risks with other mixes.

how it handles on your fingers, and cleans up, is not a factor to be taken in consideration, as your stone is not going to be thrown away and another one put in place if for any reason you don't like how the new product reacts to the stone.

Also FWIW it is known that latex-silicones are not good enough for wet areas like showers -- and this is a sink rim, so it will get standing water, which you do not want to start rotting the latex.

david

chatapuggy1

Reaction score
I appreciate all the help, as today I test fitted my manipulated "Elkay" clips and they are going to work great! Got all the sides nice and tight and flush ready to mount. I will take back the Alex2 on another run to home depot tomorrow and get the 100% silicone.

Since I have to remount the drain baskets and the garbage disposal, should I stay with the plumbers putty on those, or clean them up and use the silicone on those as well?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
chatapuggy1 said:
Since I have to remount the drain baskets and the garbage disposal, should I stay with the plumbers putty on those, or clean them up and use the silicone on those as well?
Plumber's putty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks