Bathtub fixture replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

ASantibanez

Reaction score
I would like to replace the spout in my bathtub but have not done one before so want to make sure I go about it correctly. Right now the spout is not flush with the tub wall, so there is a space where I think water can get into the wall. I want to address this problem when I put on a new spout. When choosing a new spout, how can I make sure it will fit properly and be flush against the wall? Is there any kind of sealing material I need to use between the spout and tub wall to ensure water does not get through? Also, what steps are involved in replacing the spout? I am imagining I would just need to loosen and remove the old one and replace it with the new, but am not sure and don't want to get in over my head!

Thanks!
Allison

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Spouts attach in (typically) one of two ways - screw on, or push on. To remove a screw on, you literally unscrew it from the fitting. To remove a push on, somewhere on the under side, there will be a set screw which holds it to the pipe - loosen that and pull it off.

If it is a screw on, getting it to tighten just where you want it requires careful measurement and a little finess.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not just caulk that little gap instead of replacing the spout. Even if it were flush, you would still need to caulk it. Use G.E. white silicone caulk for shower and bath.

ASantibanez

Reaction score
Help! I have replaced the spout but now when I pull the diverter I get a leak out of the back of the spout (end closest to the wall).

Thanks for the previous tips, unfortunately the gap before I think was a bit too big to seal with caulk, plus I wanted the new spout as the old one had a lot of hard water buildup and a diverter that didn't seal off completely.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is it screw-on or push on? If it is screw on, you didn't put teflon tape on it or use pipe dope. If it is push on, you may have a bigger problem as the pipe may have been distorted by overtightening the set screw, and the O-rings can no longer seal because the pipe isn't smooth and round.

Another though, if it was a screw-on, and was quite tight, you may have damaged the connection in the wall when you removed it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks