Molded PVC Shower Pan Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

wexcellent

Reaction score
PVC Shower Pan Repair - someone!? Anyone!?

The place I moved into has a 4 piece, pvc, neo angle shower unit in it. The pan is made of molded PVC and was not properly supported underneath. As a result the PVC broke and split in the middle of the floor. It is about a 5" split in a straightline. The drain flange is still intact and the split comes to within an inch or so of it. It is slab on grade construction and there is no sign of moisture around the shower base (I have a good moisture meter) so any water leaking must be going down in the cutout around the shower drain which was never patched in with concrete.

I think I can slip adequate support into the area by unscrewing the drain and lifting up the pan a bit. What I'm wondering is if there is someway to patch the crack with thicker pvc material that I could adhere over the top of the break after prepping the area. I can't find anything online. This is a basement shower and I don't really care if the shower pan is pretty. I just want to stop the leak and prevent further cracking of the pan.

Any help would be appreciated.

The only alternative I see is to replace the whole thing but that probably means wall panels and glass too because I think it must have come as a kit and I doubt I could match the pan size.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

wexcellent

Reaction score
Still no Responses?

Is there really no answer to this other than replacement? No one out there with experience on these?

Steve

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
PVC can be heat welded, I have done it, and you can fix that crack. If you are familiar with gas welding, the principles here are the same: hot air, filler rod, technique.

Talk to an auto body repairman or check at a couple of auto parts stores. The tool you need is essentially a soldering iron with air passing through it and the filler rod you need will be PVC.

What I would probably do there would be to leave the drain alone and carefully pry one side of that crack up (open) so I could inject grout for support under the pan. Your local masonry store should be able to supply a smooth grout, and there are various ways to inject it. I have done some with an actual grout pump -- do a web search -- and I have also done some with a squeeze bag and nozzle similar to what cake decorators use, but actually for grout. A pressure pot would be another way, or maybe even a grease gun.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks