Toto with 10" rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

prf46

Reaction score
I have in the past installed two Toto Drake toilets that I am happy with. One had a 12" rough-in, the other 11-1/2". Today I found that downstairs that a flange is set in concrete 10" from a wood-panelled wall surface. Does Toto or anyone else have a toilet that flushes well with a 10" rough-in? Or do I start trying to move finished wall back an inch around back of toilet? I saw an offset flange online today, but I don't think I will try to modify the flange installation because of the concrete floor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Vespin, Carlyle, and several others use the unifit adapter. It comes with a 12" one in the box, but you can buy one in 10 or 14" to substitute it. there are probably others as well. Those that use the unifit adapter are skirted, and the water supply needs to be a little bit further off center than for a standard toilet.

prf46

Reaction score
Are Unifit installations easy? Diagram shows screws which I assume I need to sink into my concrete floor? Is this true for 1" version, or does it just bolt to flange? What is best way to screw into concrete?

Thanks, from an obviously amateur home plumber.

prf46

Reaction score
P.S. Also... my flange bottom sits above concrete 1/2" or so, I guess to allow for flooring, which is thin pad carpet cut away from the flange an inch or so. So does unifit need to be shimmed up from the floor to bottom-of-flange level to make it level? Does unifit use a standard wax ring?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet should set on the finished floor, if it's hard surface.

If you have carpet, the toilet would set on the floor, and the carpet cut around the base of the toilet.

1/2" is pretty high for a flange to set above the floor.

TOTO makes the Drake in a 10" bowl.
C744EF.10

With the tank, it would be a CST744EF.10

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/2" may be too high for any toilet to sit flat on the floor, although you might have a better chance with the unifit adapter than with a normal toilet.

The unifit adapter uses a normal wax ring, but in your case, maybe a waxless seal might give a little more room - you'd have to try it to see. Both types are available at most big box home stores.

Drilling into concrete isn't bad with the right drill bit. It goes faster with a hammer drill, but for a few holes, a standard drill with a carbide concrete bit would work. You could use plastic anchors, lead anchors, or a special brand of screws called Tapcons. Each will require a specific hole - don't try to use either a bigger or smaller hole than the fastener calls for. The Tapcons are hardened steel that actually thread themselves into the concrete after you drill the pilot hole.

The Unifit adapter anchors to the existing flange, then near the rear of the toilet is another set of bolts that hold the toilet. That end of the adapter needs to be anchored to then hold the toilet, and that is where the extra screws go. The "normal" bolt holes just hold the front end and seal of the adapter in place.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Toto makes a "Reliance" under their Commercial line.
The Regular Rim bowl is the C703-10 (10" Rough-in)
The Elongated bowl is the C704-10 (10" Rough-in)
The tank is the ST703.
We have these under our "Water Saver" program and they perform well.

prf46

Reaction score
Thanks for your helpful replies. I'm getting to a solution, I think.

I checked my measurements. My flange bottom is 3/8" off concrete. Carpet and pad are cut away under toilet, but old toilet sat on carpet and pad and tack strips, which probably compressed to 3/8" total or so maybe.

I think Toto with unifit 10" is a solution for me. However, Toto G-max toilets (e.g Toto Vespin) with extra-cost 10" unifit adapter seem to cost 2-3 times the cost of my Drake. But... I like the G-max flush of Toto Drake. So I could go that route, decreasing my kids inheritance.

To save some money, American Standard Cadet 3 has 10" rough-in available at roughly same cost as Drake. Do they flush as well as Drake, or nearly so? Any other 10" rough-in, economical but good flushing alternatives come to mind? How does gravity flush of Toto Reliance commercial toilet mentioned above work.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your assitance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO makes the Drake in a 10" bowl.
C744EF.10

With the tank, it would be a CST744EF.10

The Toto with Unifit is very nice of course.
Something for less money in 10" would be something like a Cadet 3 with 10" tank.
Not as nice, but should work for a 10" model.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks