shallow well pump motor won't shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

bobby24j

Reaction score
Trying to help a single mom. She has a shallow well (28' she says) used for a sprinkler system...Very old Sta-Rite. Can't read the HP, but probably is 1. I replaced the broken tank (small), re-sealed all connections, blew out the pressure line from the pump to the NEW 30-50 Square D, and set the 'on' pressure to 28 PSI. Problem NOT solved. No pressure guage on the pump, but its water flow is strong, so, the pump PSI has to be well above 30. I lowered the 'off' pressure as much as possible to where it had to be at or slightly above 30 PSI. Then the Square D contacts would rapidly open and close (off/on/off/on, etc.). Will welcome any suggestions.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bob,
even though you have a high flow rate it doesn't mean the pump will build pressure. I would suspect that the nozzle in the jet assembly is clogged if it doesn't build pressure. I would get a pressure gauge on that system for starters. There should be a plug directly in the front,and directly below the line coming into the pump that allows access to the jet nozzle. Before you take that plug out i would fill a bucket of water in case you have to re prime the pump,shut the power off to the pump,drain the water down in the system,shut your main valve off to the house,and then remove the plug. You will get a small amount of water on the floor after removing the plug. Once the plug is removed,take the end of a metal coat hanger and send it into the hole deep enough where you are at the casing of the pump.Move the hanger back and forth to unclogg the nozzle.After that you should turn the main valve on and off a couple of times to get some water flowing back through the jet to flush out any material that you loosened up. After you are done reinsert the plug with some pipe dope and tighten it back up. I would then fill the pump back up with water. There should be a plug somewhere on top of the pump that you can take off to refill it. That plug is actually where you should insert a bushing and a pressure gauge. Once you get the pump full of water,as soon as you turn the power back on it should come up to prime. You should leave the plug or the gauge a little loose to expel any air but i dont think there will be much at all. After it is primed you should be able to re adjust that switch and the pressure should come back up to the pressure it was building before.

SAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks