Locating drain pipes in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Scubby

Reaction score
How does one determine where the metal drain pipes are laid under a concrete floor? I am not aware of anything other than a metal detector.

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
There is equipment that is made for locating pluming, One type has a transmitter normally called a sondes, and is attached to a snake or a camera and inserted in to the pipe, (and some cameras I believe have it built in) that then a locator can be used to determine where it is and how deep it is.

I have never used one only read about them and there use.

Some plumbers have them. Who knows may be a rental would to.
This is one type and brand. There are others
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/NaviTrack/index.htm

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

Metal pipes can have a tone introduced to them which can be detected by a receiver. One problem is that if other metal pipes are connected to it somewhere, the sound can be transferred to them also making an accurate tracing difficult or impossible.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
When you locate them, what are you going to do? Or why do you want to find them?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks