Nearly Inaccessible Clean Out?

Users who are viewing this thread

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
suggestions wanted?

I have a property I maintain, and the soil stack is cast iron, there is a clean out in the basement, the problem is current accessibility,

house was built in the mid 1960's,
as it sits now it is in the wall, (there is a small hole to access it in the wall), even tho the edge of the WYE is exposed, thus it is not perfectly centered in the wall,) and then to make it more fun, during a remodel they placed a cabinet up next to the clean out. (I actually had to saw a small section of the cabinet away to get the cap off. To get it to unscrew.)
there about 16" between the cabinet, and the toilet.

NO it is not impossible to get to it, but your running your snake up next to the cabinet. and putting a much tighter bend on the cable than one should do. IF a major blockage occurred it would be a real fight to clean it from that location, and the only other location is the roof vent, and to install a new clean out is kinda out of the question, as it is 9' down and under a concrete slab, for a good share of the distance, to the city main. the only other possibility I can see is pull the the toilet, and work through a double 90's.

THIS IS in a basement with cast pipe above, it,

the Question

If I chisel out the lead and oakum do you think I could rotate the clean out 90 degrees so it would face back in the room, not in the wall, (with out destroying the joints or do damage to the stack and pluming above it, (then of course, re oakum it an lead the joint back up properly, (it's been a long time since I did any new cast iron work, back in 70's). since then it has been remove and replace for the most part.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joints

If you can do it without burning the building down, and have two torches, you can heat both joints and when they are hot enough, rotate the cleanout and then recaulk the joints when they cool down.

HandyAndy

Reaction score
the burning down the house part would concern me in this instance to heat both joints up to where the lead was molten,

thank you for the responce,

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
I am not a plumber but seem to remember reading or hearing about a saddle type cleanout attachment that could be attached after an access or hole is cut in the side of the pipe. If such a thing exists you could use an angle grinder with a diamond blade and attach the saddle. ??? - Don

HandyAndy

Reaction score
thank you for the suggestion,

There are saddle fittings, but I would not be a fan of using them in an interior situation,
I would consider them outside and buried under soil, as that is different ball game in my opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks