Newbie question

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
Webster doesn't drill wells. I have heard artesian used as a term for a flowing well and a term for a well with a static water level which takes in most wells. Everywhere you go in this US the drilling is different. Some screened wells, some pure rock, some are made with perforated casing. (I still don't know what that's about) it's a California thing for the most part.

This is one explanation I found:
arte'sian well'
a well in which water rises under pressure from a permeable stratum overlaid by impermeable rock.

I forget what expert I heard the non flow part of artesian from, but it's the general consensus among some of us.

Here is another one: Artesian water: Water drawn from a well that taps a confined aquifer in which the water stands above the top of the
aquifer. It is sometimes called artesian well water.

bob...

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
An artesian well is a well deriving its water from a confined aquifer in which the water level stands above the ground surface;synonoymous with flowing artesian well. A well where the water level in it is below the ground surface is not considered an artesian well but if at some point the water in that same well is free flowing from the top of the casing at different times of the year then i would consider it an artesian well. I have worked on wells where this does happen time to time and it is caused by the head pressure being lowered at the source.

SAM

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Speedbump,
I have never seen a pitless adapter for a 2" deep well jet,sounds cool. So i guess from what i gather there is an adapter that goes from 2" to 3" and the
3" casing extends above ground? I tryed looking it up and couldn't find a description.

SAM

Speedbump

Reaction score
Go here and click on Pitless Adaptors, look near the top of the PDF file. You will see the two pipe and the concentric pitless. You can see the two o-rings top and bottom of the spool. Things have probably changed since I used to use them. You will also see the PAT tank (Pitless adaptor tank) one complete unit, pitless and buried tank. I had one at a home I owned years ago. It was pretty cool. Only works with a submersible of coarse.

bob...

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Speedbump,
that fitting looks awesome! I cant believe i have never come across one out in the field. Are there any downsides to them,like maybe the O rings getting pinched or anything like that? What is the pitless made of?

SAM

Speedbump

Reaction score
The Whitewaters are all steel except the spool which I think is cast. Not sure, it's been a while. The Bakers were cast housing at the bottom, cast spool and steel riser with cast cap. There were others too, but I never used them.

The Bakers worked very good, the Whitewaters had an o-ring problem. That's why I went to the Bakers.

bob...

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Speedbump,
maybe i'll try one of them out. I know it would be expensive but if they made them out of brass they would be the great.

SAM

Speedbump

Reaction score
What is the smallest size pipe these will work with Valveman?

I like the idea of no tank in the yard, and probably no pressure switch either. I didn't like their website too much as it doesn't get into details like most of would want.

Tell me more about these.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
This is a pitless adapter with the pressure tank, pressure switch, and Cycle Stop Valve installed inside the well casing. The casing adapter changes from 4", 5", or 6" to about 12" casing at the top. The pitless adapter is fairly normal and has the CSV installed just underneath it. However the pitless has a bayonet style adapter with o-rings above it. This is where the adapter for the pressure tank and pressure switch plug in. Set the pitless as usual, then stab the tank and switch on top of that and your done. They make them in all sizes. He even has one that a 2" Cycle Stop Valve will fit in, so you can control up to a 150 GPM pump with in the well controls.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I wonder how we could use that device without using the pitless itself, since we don't need them here. There are a lot of people here who are fussy about what goes in their yard. They don't want tanks or filtration out in plain sight.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Many people who do not use pitless adapters are installing pump systems like this one from a different post. Just put the CSV right side up with the tank underneath and after the CSV. One of those fake rocks will fit right over it and nothing is visible.

Attachments

• well.jpg
    well.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 242

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just dont like the idea of having a pressure switch in the well casing with all that moisture. I would feel more comfortable having that setup in a jumbo irrigation valve box.

SAM

Speedbump

Reaction score
Everything has to be above ground here. No underground anything. I have priced those rocks. They are outragous! Why couldn't I just bush the casing up to 12" above ground and install the CSV and tank in it? But where would the pressure switch go? I guess I have some Engineering to do.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valve box works good too. However, you will still get condensation in a valve box. If your water level varies a lot, causing the well to vent in and out a lot, and you live in a area with high humidity, it can turn the wires in the pressure switch green. You can have the same problem in a valve box. The only way to prevent this is to use a pressure switch in a Nema 4X enclosure to keep the moisture out.

Raucina

Reaction score
You can buy a very small heater strip for electric boxes that will keep the contents in a safe enviroment. If you use a "sealed" #4 box I would add a large pak of moisture adsorbent silica. You would have to poke a hole or modify a fitting on the box anyway to get the water line in.

As to green wires, I always keep a tube of al-ox in the tool box for outdoor work. Lately I find that permatex's teflon pipe dope inside wire nuts keeps the connections fresh after years in 95% humidity. Try it on the lousy screws that break off in aluminum outdoor boxes - they NEVER sieze up with that 1/2 cent treatment.

Maybe you guys have salt water issues - but I have seen pressure switches under plastic tarps work for many years without destructive corrosion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks