Toilet & Lav Wet Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryK57

Reaction score
I'm roughing in a new lav and toilet that are about 3' apart and I have a question about venting.

The toilet is to be roughed in at 12" and is 15" from the side wall. I want to install a 3"x3"x2" wye directly under the closet flange so that the 2" arm extends back to the wall (through a 2"x12" floor joist) and ties into the 2" vent stack (using a 45 elbow) for the lav that is wet vented. The bottom 3" connector of the wye will connect to a closet bend and travel about 18" and connect to the main waste line with another clost bend. This would then be the drain for the toilet and the lav.

I know the 45 elbow has to be above the center line of the 3" wye. Is this configuration OK or is there another fitting that I can use instead of the 3"x3"x2" wye? As I said, the entire connection is right up against the 2"x12" floor joist so things are a little tight. Thanks for the help.

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Why not use a Low-heal 90, then wet wet the lav to the 2" vent off the lo heal that will vent the toilet with a 2 x 1-1/2" santee.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bend

One reason may be that a low heel 1/4 bend, used that way, would not pass inspection in many areas of the country. In that configuration it is no longer a closet bend but rather a sanitary tee, on its back, in a horizontal line. Not knowing the orientation of the fitting we cannot tell you if there is a better fitting, or arrangement, but from your description, if accurate, it appears that it is a proper installation. The confusing thing is that you say it will be directly below the flange, which implys a vertical orientation, but then you ask about the 45 being above the centerline which then implies a horizontal one. Which is it.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Check your code , here UPC allows as I explain.
See Below, no problem passing inspection here, but maybe different there, this is a legal wet vent.

plumber2000-01.jpg

Other Legal ways to wet vent lav to toilet vent under UPC

plumber2000-02.jpg

LarryK57

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. After a little online research I have decided to modify my configuration. Rather than use a wet vent for the Lav, I will extend the 3" pipe to pickup the 2" Lav drain. Since everything is within 2 feet of each other I think it should be OK. It seems to simplify the configuration a little. Here is a sketch of the new layout. Comments? Thanks everyone for the great information.

Attachments

• DWV Layout.JPG
    DWV Layout.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,735

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Unless you get a very lenient inspector he is not going to allow that 3" sanitary tee on its back for your toilet connection. And I am not sure what you are calling a closet bend where it turns down, but if it is anything other than a conventional elbow, and in that location it does not have to be a long radius one, it might also be the wrong fitting. As for the heel 1/4 bend it is okay vertical, but not as a closet bend under the toilet, on its back.

attachment.php

LarryK57

Reaction score
Using the diagram as a reference, what fitting(s) would be the correct ones?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The last drawing by LarryK57 is wrong.

From what you are trying to do, I would suggest that you come up with two lines.
One for the wc(toilet) with it's own vent, A lowheel 90 would work here with the vent coming out the top of the fitting.
Second one for the lav, with it's own vent, which can then be revented over to the wc vent.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Each fixture must connect to it's own vent prior any other drain being connected. In other words what I show here is the lav sink has to tie into the stack after the toilet connects to it's vent and only then can you tie it into it.

As seen below, this is what we ask for here under UPC, there are other ways to accomplish this but this is only one example.

plumber2000-03.jpg

LarryK57

Reaction score
Thanks very much everyone. After reading Terry's notes I reworked my layout. Since great minds think alike, :rolleyes: I did it exactly the way Pumber2000 drew in his diagram. The fit was a little tight, but I managed to get it all in. I really appreciate all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks