Moving sump discharge from sidewalk to lawn?

Users who are viewing this thread

mikrobmus

Reaction score
Here's my saga in brief - this past fall, after having the basement flooded due to a frozen sump outlet, I rented a trencher and buried our discharge pipe. Due to the slope of the lawn and the proximity of the neighbor's house I ran the pipe across the lawn and out through a stone wall onto the sidewalk. All has been functioning well, but I just learned that having the sump discharge on to a city sidewalk is a violation and if seen could result in our water being shut off - yikes.

So does anyone know of any products to help distribute the discharge over a lawn? Or, there's a bank on the side of the lawn sloping down to the neighbors - would a stone/gravel bank work without flooding the neighbor? Since we're in Boston, freezing is a huge factor and since it's the front lawn, appearance is as well. And to give you a sense of volume, after long term heavy rains the pump will put out 4-6 g/min for 3-4 days.

Thanks for any insights...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They may allow you to connect the outlet to the storm sewer lines (not the normal sewer lines). This usually requires a special licensed plumber to do. This may be the cleanest method.

Discharging the water onto the sidewalk would create a skating rink in the winter, creating a pretty bad safety hazard. Hope you liability insurance is pretty hefty.

Depending on the slope and shape of things, a drywell might work, but it could end up just causing you to pump the same water all over again.

Raucina

Reaction score
Another solution is a plane ticket to California and a good agent to sell your house. These sump pump questions are foreign to those parts of the world without basements and high groundwater. Consider a mountainous rural area in California if regulations are against your philosophy.

The more I read here, the more I realize that many basements are an expensive luxury.

KD

Reaction score
I live on the top of a hill in California and I have standing water under my house for 6 months out of the year. It comes from an underground spring, not improper drainage. I am going to install a sump pump to pump it out.

Raucina

Reaction score
Lucky! But maybe you can save the trouble of a pump system...

Trench it to daylight to save a pump.... Or construct a siphon to avoid a pump, if your property line allows you to get below basement level. You can even construct an automatic siphon that will turn itself off and on and never use a single watt.

OR.... dig deeper - develop it, and use the water for the house supply

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks