advice on hot water recirc pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Barrybpdx

Reaction score
looking for advice on a hot water recirc system.
i'm replumbing and can add a recirc line back to the tank rather than sending the un-hot water into the cold line.
here's what i'm thinking:
- run a hot 'trunk' line that serves the 2nd and 3rd floor bathrooms.
- install a pump at the far end of the trunk line.
i want one pump with a temperature sensor, preferably adjustable, that shuts it off when hot water reaches the pump.
i'd also like to be able to push a hard-wired button in either bathroom to trigger the pump. on-demand only; no timer necessary and i sure don't want to keep the line hot all the time.

which is the pump for me?

thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

Any pump will work, the electric controls are what you have to be concerned about. The pump can be anywhere in the system, usually at the water heater, as long as the outlet has a route back to the water heater

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A Grundfos UP15-42B would work. It is available with integral checks, and a temperature sensor. The pump is usually located adjacent to the waterheater, but but that is not mandatory. You could simple have a switched outlet installed to plug the pump into. The Grundfos pumps are available also with line cord attached, which would make that switching option easy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
RedyTemp is an integrated system, has an adjustable temperature sensor and supports any of the power control functions. It seems a little more expensive than some others, but is really quick to install if you have an outlet where you need it. I've had one for about 3-years now and have it on a 7-day timer so it runs in the mornings and evenings.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
RedyTemp is an integrated system, has an adjustable temperature sensor and supports any of the power control functions. It seems a little more expensive than some others, but is really quick to install if you have an outlet where you need it. I've had one for about 3-years now and have it on a 7-day timer so it runs in the mornings and evenings.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
RedyTemp is an integrated system, has an adjustable temperature sensor and supports any of the power control functions. It seems a little more expensive than some others, but is really quick to install if you have an outlet where you need it. I've had one for about 3-years now and have it on a 7-day timer so it runs in the mornings and evenings. Taco

Jadnashua

Reaction score
RedyTemp is an integrated system, has an adjustable temperature sensor and supports any of the power control functions. It seems a little more expensive than some others, but is really quick to install if you have an outlet where you need it. I've had one for about 3-years now and have it on a 7-day timer so it runs in the mornings and evenings. Taco also

Jadnashua

Reaction score
RedyTemp is an integrated system, has an adjustable temperature sensor and supports any of the power control functions. It seems a little more expensive than some others, but is really quick to install if you have an outlet where you need it. I've had one for about 3-years now and have it on a 7-day timer so it runs in the mornings and evenings. Taco also makes one.

Barrybpdx

Reaction score
the ChiliPepper looks like another option, less expensive than the others. didn't have an option for additional hardwired switches.
i just called them and the voicemail says that there's a new model coming out today. hopefully they'll get the website updated soon and this new model will accept remote switches (instead of just wireless remote)

Barrybpdx

Reaction score
i was thinking it's best to locate the pump next to the farthest fixture. if i put it next to the HWH, then i'm heating (wastefully) the water in the return line, partly defeating the purpose of having the pump.

is there a compelling reason to put it at the HWH? noise? appearance?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You usually have power there, and while quiet, they do make some. Also, you may not want to take up room under say the vanity with the thing. I run mine so the water at the furthest location is just warm, not hot. For the shower, instead of taking over a minute to get hot, it takes maybe 10-seconds. The vanity on the first floor has hot water immediately, and the branch to the kitchen takes maybe 20-seconds. The systems like the Grundfos that use a valve at each (or at least has the option) fixture can reduce that at each fixture. When you just have one pump and no other fixtures, it depends on how your piping is layed out, as to how quickly you get hot water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks