Roughing in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

edmuhl

Reaction score
I'm going plumb my basement. Can I put my bathroom anywhere? It has a drain by the furnace and there is also a plate which covers what looks to be the sewerline.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You put the bathroom anywhere you can install a proper drain. That drain by the furnace may or may not be of value for this job. A toilet must have at least a 3" line and be vented. A shower needs a 2" vented line. Sinks and tubs need only a 1-1/2" vented line. Now the problem you have to solve is how to provide a 1/4" per foot slope to your drain lines. The further away from the main drain you want the bathroom, the deeper your trench between the bathroom and main drain must be. It would be wise on your part to have a plumbing contractor evaluate what you have and advise you on what can and what can not be done. You will be covering your drain with concrete and it had better be right before you do that. Remember, all things are possible...if your pockets are deep enough.

EAP

Reaction score
edmuhl said:
I'm going plumb my basement. Can I put my bathroom anywhere? It has a drain by the furnace and there is also a plate which covers what looks to be the sewerline.

Gary gave some great advice on consulting a pro. A basment bathroom
especially with drains under the slab, is often outside the realm of a DIY project. Too many variables. You should also get yourself a book or two from the library that demonstrates this type of plumbing project. So you get a basic idea of the depth of the work involved. But the consulting pro is a definite must-see.

Plumbers often have that sixth sense on where the drain lines run underneath the slab. Imagine picking a spot at random, breaking through the floor and missing the mark, or worse yet, breaking the pipe.

You also have the option of using an ejector pump and pit or the toilets with a macerating pump. But these are best used in basements that have no underground plumbing. If the power goes out, so does the pump and the toilet and other fixtures connected to it.

Breaking the floor even if it amounts to 20 square feet of broken concrete is not an easy task, very dirty, and then all the ruble and dirt needs to be disposed of. Of course, after the rough-in is approved by the inspector, then you need to close the trench. Another mess waiting.

It's so much easier especially when building a new home, to have the drains roughed-in in the basement before the floor is poured. And a lot less expensive.

Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks