air leak at valve stem on captive air tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Timmy

Reaction score
My submersible pump recently started short-cycling. I put some soapy water around the air valve stem at the top of the tank and got bubbles. Please note that the bubbles are NOT the result of a loose or leaky valve CORE. The valve is the same as used on automotive rims for tubeless tires. The manual (Sears) gives a procedure for replacing this valve if it leaks which involves emptying tank of water and air, cutting off the valve stem as close to tank as possible, pushing remaining part of valve into tank, disconnecting pipe at bottom and removing flange, pushing bladder to one side and reaching in the tank to remove the portion of the valve that fell into the tank when the part on the exterior of tank was cut off, finally pushing a new valve thru the hole from the INSIDE of the tank and pulling it thru with a valve stem pulling tool and then putting it all back together and recharging. MY QUESTIONS: isn't there an easier way? Is there any kind of sealant or epoxy that could be applied from the outside? Is it really necessary to remove the part of the valve that falls into the tank, especially if a new valve can be installed from the outside? It can't contaminate the water which is isolated inside the baldder. Grateful for any advice.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
That tank was bad out of the box Timmy. I would find a good one like a Flexcon or a Well-X-Trol. They are the two best tanks on the market. The Sears, Big Box store brand, Grainger and many others sell this tank and it is the most replaced tank out there. They also have a replacable bladder. Guess why?

That tank can also cost you a new pump by short cycling it to death.

bob...

Timmy

Reaction score
Thanks to Speedbump

Thanks for the advice. That's what I was looking for. I have had the tank since 1992 so it's lasted a while. Appreciate your recommendations of the two tank mfgrs.

Raucina

Reaction score
Indeed the Sears bladder tanks are poor, but Graingers does not sell that brand. Graingers diaphragm tanks appear to be made by a company in Texas that is very similar to a flex con design. In my experience they last quite a long time.

If you open that tank you will likely discover the bladder is broken anyway. Replacing that bag is something you will forever regret to have attempted.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks can be deceiving. There are dozens of tanks out there that all look the same. Take it from someone who has hauled off truck load after truck load of old bladder tanks, beauty is only skin deep. There are only three tanks that I would recommend. They are the Well-X-Trol, Flexcon, and Well-Mate, in that order as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks