Drain Pump Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

qcprc

Reaction score
I'm installing a sink in my basement in which I have no gravity fed drain system in place. I am therefore purchasing a drain pump to pump up the waste to tie into my present septic system. My question is in relation to venting. Can I bring the vent up into my floor joists, go horizontal for several feet, then come back down to send it over to the main vent, thus creating a trap if you will with the vent.
Also, the main vent for the system starts out on a slight horizontal (coming off the main drain stack), then does a vertical out onto the roof. Can I tie the new vent into the existing vent at this slight horizontal or do I have to tie in at the vertical portion?

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
venting

Your sealed pump basin and the trapped sink drain will both need a vent. They can be connected together 6" or higher above the flood level of the sink. The vent must continue at an up hill grade until it ties into an existing vent or is vented to the outside by itself. It can not turn back down or form any kind of trap before tying into a vent. You must continue the pump basin vent up 6" above the flood level rim of the fixture on the main floor before connecting into that fixture's existing vent.

This vent coming out of the waste stack on a horizontal doesn't have any fixtures draining into it?

IPC code.

good luck

qcprc

Reaction score
Question

The horizontal coming off the main stack does not have anything draining into it except at the main stack itself. Theoretically, if the drain field backed up then it could back up through this vent and come out the stack vent roof end.
I was wondering if in fact I could tie into that with the venting for the pump basin and sink at the horizontal. It technically would be below the flood rim for the main level fixtures. So I might be looking at venting this set up outside. Could you elaborate on how that might be done? I'm looking at a Zoeller drain pump and they say I cannot use a mechanical vent on there pump but thats all they state. Could I come out from the pump do a 90 degree turn then go on a slight up hill climb and then drill a hole outside the side of my house in order for this to function properly? What would I use on the outside in order to keep the bugs out etc.?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

You doing okay until you posted this "enlightenment". How could anything back up enough to run out onto the roof, unless you have found a way to change physical laws? As far as the "inverted trap" on the vent is concerned, you have to differentiate between what will work and what is "legal". It will "work" as long as the pipes on either side slope so concensation can drain both ways, but an inspector would not approve it. You can tie into the vent system anyhere above the overflow level of the highest fixture, or at least 42" above the floor, whichever is highest.

qcprc

Reaction score
More on Venting

I though you'd like that "enlightenment"...
Anyways, from what your telling me, I dont think I'll be able to tie into the existing vent that is available in my basement. The trap I create will not allow for condensation run off as you state. I will therefore have to run it straight outside the house. The question is what do I use at the end of the pvc to keep the bugs out yet still allow the vent to function?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

A piece of screen will do that, but then you have to ask yourself what do you do to keep the odor from coming out of the vent, (which will happen every time you flush the toilet or use a faucet)? That is where you run into a problem. And you cannot use a mechanical vent to allow air in but no odors out.

qcprc

Reaction score
Piece of screen

Hj,
it would seem that they would have something more than a piece of screen to use on the end piece of this vent. I'll have to do some more digging to see if in fact they do or not. I was working for a contractor not to long ago and I helped put in a bathroom exhaust fan in which we ran the exhaust tub out the side of the house and the contractor used what he called a bird cage on the end of it. I suppose one of these will work.
As far as the smell goes, well I might have to deal with this. Of course on a good day when the wind is blowing, you can smell all the local dairy farms in our area. Thanks for your responses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks