Converting a pumped recirculation hot water system to GRAVITY

Users who are viewing this thread

Luc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We have a hot water recirculation system with a pump and I would like to know if I can convert it to a gravity recirculation system without a pump.

The building is 40' x 100' with 3 stories. We have 3 copper hot water supply lines of 1 1/2'' and 3 return lines of 1/2''. The 3 return lines connect together on a 3/4'' line with a flow check valve which then connects to the cold water input and the bottom of the water heater.

Luc

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Turn off the pump overnight. If the gravity thing is working, which it may well be on 3 stories, then just leave the pump off;

Luc

Reaction score
Hello jimbo,
I turned the pump of for a few hours yesterday and the tubing got colder on the return lines. I've heard that we need to drill a hole in the check valve for gravity recirculation to work. Also, since I have 3 return lines I would probably need to have a check valve with a hole on each return lines.

Luc

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
circulaton

Since the system has a pump on it, there is little likelihood that the piping was installed the way a gravity system would require it to be installed.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, accidents do happen! My daughter just had a copper repipe to bypass all the underslab copper. She contracted with the general who is doing a large addition on the house. Since all the walls and ceilings were open, they put in an isulated recirc return with pump. There is no electricity yet, pump not plugged in. That sucker is recirculating like all get out! Just an accident, I guess!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks