Lowboy gas waterheaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

HammerSlammer

Reaction score
I built a 4-plex in 1985 and had 4 lowboy's in the crawler. The 4 went bad within a few months of each other in 1997 and were replaced. I need to anticipate replacement again and I understand the lowboy's are no longer produced. Space is tight so I'm considering maybe an electric low profile or maybe a tankless?? I think what I have now are 30 gallon and I have not had any complaints about enough hot water. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do a websearch for lowboys. This might be a good space for tankless, though. Maybe even just one for all 4 units.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
low boys still available

all I put in is Brad ford white low boys

they are still available, in 30 and 40 and 50

why in the world would you want to risk trying a tankless

water heater when you have such good luck with the normal

trouble free tank type?? especially in a rental unit??

a good tankless will cost you at least 3 times what a low boy

will cost, and you WILL have to retrofit the whole place to make them

work right....

why tamper with perfection
if you get 10 trouble free years and no
complaints from renters???

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
low boy

What is your idea/definition of a low boy? What is the maximum height you can use. Many years ago there were crawl space lowboy gas heaters, but the new ones are about 48" tall.

HammerSlammer

Reaction score
hj said:
What is your idea/definition of a low boy? What is the maximum height you can use. Many years ago there were crawl space lowboy gas heaters, but the new ones are about 48" tall.

Yeah, 48 inches would be too tall for me. I think mine are about 34 to 36 inches. I did a websearch and havn't found anything that might fit. Thanks for the replies.

HammerSlammer

Reaction score
Ok I searched and searched and can't find the shorter one. I think i'll be prepared with a lowboy electric for the emergency swapout and maybe in another two years or so I'll have some options that are more clear.

Is there a chance that the current 4 heaters might last longer than the four installed in 1985??

Thanks for the help. HS

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks