faucet washers...different grades?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
I have an ancient gerber faucet....i recently installed new stems and seats

the hot water keeps going through washers

could it be the washer is not handling the heat?

any suggestions?

do they sell a premium type of washer? or specific for hot water?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Black rubber washers until they harden from age are susceptible to tearing/ripping.....especially if the mating surface that they come in contact with have a chip or sharp edge on them.

I only use composite washers; they usually are pastel colors.....a great deal harder from the go and wear like iron opposed to black rubber.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check the new seat you installed to make sure there's no cuts or imperfections on it. Make sure the new valve stem has no defects that could slice into the washer. Above all, make sure the valve stem is in the open position when you screw it in or else you can really squeeze the life out of the rubber washer before it is ever used.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
washer

Composite is the hardest so it will take more effort to turn off completely, and if it leaks it will damage the seat before the washer is affected.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks