Sanitary Tee on side?

Users who are viewing this thread

mastas

Reaction score
abs_combo.jpg

A wye and 45, sometimes called a combination fitting or combo.

I've googled to the end and couldn't find a definitive answer, so I'm hoping to get it here.

abs_santee.jpg

Santee

Is it possible to use a sanitary tee in a waste line on its side? I'm doing this to change directions/tap into an existing waste line.

and from the differing answers I found, none of them gave a clue as to why this can't be done, other than to say it can't be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
abs_combo.jpg

You need a wye, or tee-wye. A horizontal to horizontal change of direction needs to be sweeping.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
the turn radius on a san tee is too tight, it will eventually have a problem with clogging.

mastas

Reaction score
thanks for the quick replys.

Sometimes, google isn't the best place for information.

dmpogo

Reaction score
kordts said:
You need a wye, or tee-wye. A horizontal to horizontal change of direction needs to be sweeping.

What about vertical to horizontal ? (Although I could feel advantage of
45+wye in this case as well)

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
abs_combo.jpg

Are combo's OK? The type that is like a "T" but has a sweep 90 sort of with it?
This is for a horizontal to horizontal.

Ron

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
abs_combo.jpg

Yes, a store bought combo is also known as tee-wye. I hadn't seen them until recently, we made them up and always called them combos.

danielharperpe

Reaction score
abs_combo_left.jpg

vertical to horizontal, wye

abs_combo.jpg

horizontal to horizontal, wye

abs_santee.jpg

horizontal to vertical, santee or wye unless the vertical is used as a vent, and then a santee.

Terry, it is interesting that BOTH Revit and AutoCAD MEP use sanitary tees in lieu of tee-wyes or combos for the default sanitary connections of horizontal to horizontal sanitary piping. I always thought they haven't actually taken a single moment in all these years to ask a real plumbing professional about the matter and these youngsters are drawing up these beautiful models that clearly show an unapproved fitting for such a common connection. Autodesk has raked in record profits in recent years. Nice to see they aren't overspending on plumbing designer's to review their products.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry, it is interesting that BOTH Revit and AutoCAD MEP use sanitary tees in lieu of tee-wyes or combos for the default sanitary connections of horizontal to horizontal sanitary piping.

They may believe that they are too smart to ask questions. I deal with this all the time when I'm with engineers. They love to tell me

"My wife told me that is sounded like a good idea to her."

Yeah, well buddy, most of us in construction business prefer to ask someone "doing" the work, and not whoever is at the dinner table that night.

Another good one is the self employed handyman that is running solo without any thing to go by or any knowledgeable person to ask questions of. I've seen some God Awful stuff at times from them. One was at a church I used to attend. This guy was building a water wall in the main lobby. I saw how he was doing it and tried to explain what he was doing wrong. He shut me down real quick on that. When I went back, and asked why the water wall wan't being used as planned, I was told there was water all over the place and they just left it as a "dry" feature.
I'm sure the handyman figured it was just bad luck somehow.

For a cad program to auto correct the fittings in a layout it would need a lot of AI.
For us, it also depends on the fixture being served, not just the fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks