Balancing 2 bladder pressure tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

nagr22

Reaction score
I moved into this place about a year ago and I am currently replacing an old pump with a Gould 1.5. There were two new bladder pressure tanks installed before I moved here and only one tank seems to be filling. I checked the air pressure for the bladders and they were both apparently set at 30 lbs. and the pressure switch comes on at 32 and shuts off at 42, and the tanks both measured 72psi when the pump shuts off which is fine. However, with the new pump I will need the additional storage of the other tank which is not working correctly.
My understanding is to shut of the pump, drain the water from the tanks and then set the bladder pressure 2 lbs below cut in. I plan on replacing the pressure switch with 40-60 and want 45psi so would set the bladder pressure in both tanks at 43psi. Is there anything to do differently because there are two tanks?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No, but I would strongly suggest thinking about replacing both tanks at the same time just to save you the aggravation of changing it in the near future. If they were both the same brand and installed at the same time the other one may not last much longer.

You will have to manually adjust up the switch to 45#. there is and adjustment nut that will adjust up both turn on and off pressure at the same time. If you adjust it up to 45# your turn off pressure will be 65#.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks