Ready For Critique

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm all done playing plumber for now. Let me know what you think.

Pic 1. Replaced Galvy elbow with brass tee. Added a shutoff valve because their curb box leaks. Then added 30 ft. of 1/2" PVC and connected it to a 12 inch frost-free sillcock.

Pic 2. Installed new laundry valve box. Replaced corroded 1/2" galvy pipe and twisted copper pipe with new 1/2" galvy all the way up using just a brass coupling to make the connection to the valve threads. Added a 2" - 1 1/2" reducing coupler to the galvy standpipe. The washing machine drain hooky thing will drain directly into the standpipe, so I'm not worried about it not being glued in with PVC. Tried to do things as simply as possible.

Pic 3. The outdoor sillcock. The cause of all of this fun.

Attachments

• Washer Valve Box 007-low res.jpg
    Washer Valve Box 007-low res.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 444
  • Washer Valve Box 010-low res.jpg
    Washer Valve Box 010-low res.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • Washer Valve Box 012-low res.jpg
    Washer Valve Box 012-low res.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks O.K. to me but I am curious why you didn't use CPVC to the bib PVC to the washer box drain.

The only problem I see is you didn't use a hose bib with a vacume breaker.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com

1. It's a good thing you installed a valve on the PVC, so you can shut it off when it breaks.
2. When the drain overflows or the valve packings leak and water gets into the box, then leaks through the unglued joint where the drain is, you will understand why it should have been glued.
3. That hose faucet MUST HAVE a vacuum breaker attached to its outlet. You can remove it during the freezing weather so the faucet can drain, but it must be in place ANYTIME a hose is connected.
4. You did not gain anything by using the brass fittings in a galvanized system. You just spent more money than you had to.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

I've got the PVC tightly secured every few feet, so why do you think it will break?

I was just thinking that maybe I could have used PEX instead. Would that have worked? I don't have a PEX crimper, but I could have used the Qest fittings. It would have saved me from breathing in all that solvent.:(

I will add a vacuum breaker.

I don't think this customer wants to spend another dime. So replacing the galvy standpipe with PVC (CPVC?) is not going to happen.

The most common problem I've had to deal with these drains is when the hooked part of the drain hose pops out of the box. Then you've really got a flood on your hands. In my apartment maint. days, I was taught to just crimp on a piece of PVC pipe to the end and shove it further down in the drain. Or, just secure the hook with some bailing wire to the supply hoses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks