watertight seal between faucet base and sink

Users who are viewing this thread

mf915

Reaction score
just moved into a new place. And found out one bathroom faucet base is not watertight sealed. It already has some kind of white plastic gasket underneath the base plate. I think i have 3 options here.

1) try tightening the bolts underneathe the sink and see if it helps...
2) Take out the white plastic gasket. Use plumber's putty.
3) Take out the white plastic gasket. Caulk it.

Which method is preferred ? Any other suggestions ?
thanks

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try tightening it down from under the sink. If that doesn't work, you can apply a thin bead of clear silicone to the base. No need to remove the gasket.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i remember a foamy squishy white gasket.

I didn't even install it, since water that slipped past the top part (base plate) of the sink drain would into the space underneath it, where the overflow drains into. I didn't want to block that space by siliconing. Hope I've explained that clearly and identified the parts with sufficient

I am eager to know what plumbers say about this same white gasket. Why is it there?

The thread originator didn't mention any leak from underneath.
Is the problem just that the base plate doesn't feel tightly installed?

David

Last edited:

mf915

Reaction score
yes i do have water dripping down into the sink cabinet if i let water go pass the faucet base plate.

I have Moen brand. The gasket is not white foam. I think it's more a white/clear thick plastic.

if tighening does not work, i'll put some silicone !
thanks

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I've been throwing away those darned black rubber gaskets that Delta has been using for fifty years or more and using plumbers putty and where necessary I use a clear caulk. I like Delta but here comes another gasket to toss.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks