Bathroom sink p trap or t trap

Users who are viewing this thread

ksdad

Reaction score
Is there any disadvantage to using a t trap instead of a p trap under a bathroom sink?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
smells fishy

since the web site information never once mentions whether this "patented" thing can hold a seal against sewer gases, my first reaction is to bet 100:1 that it can't and that it isn't approved anywhere in the world to replace a P trap.

i am willing to learn all about it. Tell us what you know. :)

david

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it is what I think it is, it is an adaptation of a drum trap. They tend to clog up with deposits, hair, soak scum, etc. much more often than a standard p-trap. Do you have a link to a picture or description? My guess is that it is not accepted by US plumbing codes. I've seen them in Europe, but never took one apart to see exactly how it worked. Just wanted to verify we're talking the same thing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
T trap

A "T" trap is a bottle trap which uses an internal baffle to create the trap. They are illegal under all codes, even though the specialty stores sell them for their designer sinks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks