(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bathroom sink p trap or t trap

Default Bathroom sink p trap or t trap

Is there any disadvantage to using a t trap instead of a p trap under a bathroom sink?

Default smells fishy

since the web site information never once mentions whether this "patented" thing can hold a seal against sewer gases, my first reaction is to bet 100:1 that it can't and that it isn't approved anywhere in the world to replace a P trap.

i am willing to learn all about it. Tell us what you know.

david

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If it is what I think it is, it is an adaptation of a drum trap. They tend to clog up with deposits, hair, soak scum, etc. much more often than a standard p-trap. Do you have a link to a picture or description? My guess is that it is not accepted by US plumbing codes. I've seen them in Europe, but never took one apart to see exactly how it worked. Just wanted to verify we're talking the same thing.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default T trap

A "T" trap is a bottle trap which uses an internal baffle to create the trap. They are illegal under all codes, even though the specialty stores sell them for their designer sinks.