(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: need help removing kohler faucet handle

Default need help removing kohler faucet handle

hello everyone. i was hoping someone could help me out. i have a leak from my cold water handle and i was trying to figure out how to remove the handle so that i can tighten the inner screw.

i found an exploded picture, and i removed the allen screw (52779) under the handle, but that is as far as i can get. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

gary

The 52545 screw is holding the handle together so removing the little screw holding the insert does not help. It has been a long time since I worked on one of them, but if I remember correctly, the "skirt" unscrews and lifts the handle with it.

thanks for the reply. i tried unscrewing the skirt, but it seems that the 53198 post prevents it from unscrewing. am i doing something wrong? thanks.

The Kohler website and forums are really unhelpful! I discovered how to remove this faucet (both sink and shower):
    Hold the faucet lever. Grab and twist the skirt under the lever and twist clockwise (as looking down at the handle). If it's tight, try using a rubber jar opener to loosen it. If really tight, use a strap wrench (I found one at Sears for under $6) to loosen. Spin the skirt clockwise until the lever is released. That exposes a Phillips head screw. Remove it to expose the underlying valve/assembly.

In any case, there is NO inner screw that you tighten to stop it from leaking. You need a new stem.