SharkBite connectors

Users who are viewing this thread

Nin28

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used SharkBite connectors for copper tubing. If so, what do you think and have you used them for a long period of time? Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I haven't personally, but if you do a search (see blue bar at the top) you'll be able to see what others have said in the past. Other than the cost, people love them. Well, if ultimate size is a factor, they are bigger than a sweated connection, but that often isn't an issue.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use them sometimes.
They seem to work fine.

They are a lot more money than standard copper fittings, and most of the time standard copper fittings are what I use.

They do have their place though for some repairs.
They also mix with CPVC, copper, and PEX

Nin28

Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any mean at plumbing so I wanted to try them out. Also, the spot I'm trying to work in is extremely tight, so I would probably use them in this situation even if I was an experience pipe sweater. Thanks for the info.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
shark bites

they can get you out of mean, mean situations

without having to tamper with odd ball set ups....

recently we tied a water heater into old cpvc 1/2 lines

by jsut installing copper on the top of the heater and

putting on two of the 1/2 shark bites to the palstic.....

saves lots of pain and suffering

they are legal everywhere and are supposed to be ok

underground too...

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Not worth starting another thread

because I don't know if it is a new trick or not.

If you use those pvc cutters that are the scissor type and you are dealing with pipe that is either hard to cut through, old, or you are in a serious tight spot where a saw, cable saw, mini-hack won't reach and you're between joists?

Heat the blade. I had no options today and I was working on a tubular pvc waste and overflow that some hack put it in and had the trap falling 2" the wrong way. Nothing would get in there to cut it reasonably straight.

I had one of those smaller pvc cutters that wasn't the rachet type and with my log lighters I use for lighting pilots on water heaters I sat and got the blade reasonably hot, no way red hot though.

The tubular drain was a year old so you know what happens when dealing with older pipe or cold pipe.

The heat on the blade allowed me to cut the pipe without cracking it, it was hot enough to help with getting the initial cut into the pipe since those blades go dull after a few uses.

Let me know if this is an old trick or a new one; I just had no way to cut this pipe and my last resort method worked.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sharkbites are sold in a Home Depot near me, and the price is low, they are cheaper than compression fittings. I use them as the union on my water heater installs. I have had a couple now where I didn't have to sweat. A couple brass nipples and 3/4" female by tube sharkbites and I'm outta there.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I keep them on the truck just incase they are needed for specific situations.

They are 2 expensive 2 use on a regular basis.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Great for emergencies and material transitions

I'm a homeowner, but I do keep a 1/2" sharkbite cap and a 3/4" sharkbite cap in my "plumbing" box in my shop now that I've used them a couple of times. In case anything goes wrong, for $10 for both, I have the piece of mind knowing I can cut and cap just about any pipe in the house in under a minute without having to mess with cement or sweating anything.

They're also re-usable. So if I have to use a cap to stop an emergency leak or something, I can always remove it once I get into the repair and use it again elsewhere.

They're a great way to transition from copper to CPVC: easy & fast.

They're also great if you do a lot of DIY projects. You can shut the water off, cut and cap a line very fast, and then turn the water back on for the wife until you're ready to reconnect everything again.

Just my two cents.

sharkbite-cap.jpg

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rugged

Rugged,
whassup? Sharkbites are NSF 61 approved and that means they are legal in Illinois. I used one in ritzy Northshore suburb, long story short, it was before I had my mini-pancake air compressor and I had the water off for over one hour and I still couldn't sweat. I installed the Sharkie and the inspector flunked me. He told the homeowner he had never seen that hack fitting before. I faxed his boss some cut sheets I had downloaded and asked if I still failed. He wasn't happy, but I told him that unless his town prohibited everything but sweat joints, which meant all the compression stops in town were illegal, he had to pass me, because it was NSF 61. I won.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Reaction score
Good for you kordts!

kordts said:
Rugged,
whassup? Sharkbites are NSF 61 approved and that means they are legal in Illinois. I used one in ritzy Rorthshore suburb, long story short, it was before I had my mini-pancake air compressor and I had the water off for over one hour and I still couldn't sweat. I installed the Sharkie and the inspector flunked me. He told the homeowner he had never seen that hack fitting before. I faxed his boss some cut sheets I had downloaded and asked if I still failed. He wasn't happy, but I told him that unless his town prohibited everything but sweat joints, which meant all the compression stops in town were illegal, he had to pass me, because it was NSF 61. I won.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Kudos to you on that one Kordts. I got into an argument with a ohio plumbing inspector that got me a lot of heat when I got back to the shop when I worked for someone else.

My thinking/logic was right, but the inspector is always right, no matter what. I just challenged that and the inspector called the shop, advised "how hard we can make it for you guys" and that was the last time I was allowed to converse with plumbing inspectors.

I did a water heater replacement today that was all CPVC. They should ban that garbage. I turned out of the tank with copper, reconnected with sharkbites.

There is really nothing else I can use to transition out of that CPVC. The **** was brittle, already strained and I made darn sure that I didn't connect that copper to the sharkbites until they were cool.

That took some effort as I had to jig up the connections first.

In KY, CPVC male and female adaptors are banned from use. Only transition adaptors in brass are allowable.

Off topic,

I lost my ass on the replacement today; $300 was not enough and having a torn rotator cuff freshly injured didn't help matters much.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cash-Acme makes a water heater kit. It has 2 pieces of copper with male adapters sweat on, and 2 Sharkbite couplings. I used a bunch of Sharkbites yesterday. I made a 5 port manifold with ball valves and ran a 1" PEX line to each unit. It was a nasty, tight crawlspace. I couldn't roll over from my stomach to my back. I wasn't going to sweat copper in that mess. I used a 3/4" X 1" Sharkbite to start the run and then another one to tie into each unit. They were expensive, but it was a lot cheaper using only two fittings per run than plumbing it in copper.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Sharkbites are my little friends

For years I've been turning down anything tied to that CPVC junk, and now, these sharkbites are hitting thier marks with allowing me NOT to use any glued connections that can/will leak over time with my name on them.

In KY, they are approved in non-concealed locations but will soon be acceptable in concealed locations from the take of the inspectors.

I can count on both hands how many I've used and I'll admit, my sales are going up now since I was so notorious to say no to any plastic water lines. What is good is the fact that I don't have to worry about any connections blowing apart days/weeks/months/years down the road with a furious customer on the other end wanting a payout.

My liability insurance rides for 10 years from date of work. That's a loooooong window of opportunity for anyone with thier neck sticking out.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
I am a homeowner with limited plumbing expertise. For every copper fitting i sweat... another seems not to work.

Recently I had to add/move some water lines and was connecting PEX to the existing copper.

The shark-bites are god-send for someone like me.

It's pretty hard to mess them up.

If I had to use them everywhere, it would be very costly, but for spot and retrofit work, they are worth every penny. They are also at the big box stores which are open all the time.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I could see using a Sharkbite to connect to old copper exiting the foundation wall and going to the lawn sprinkler system. I sometimes have to rework incorrect/frozen outdoor plumbing, and I wouldn't mind having a no-brainer compression connector, since it often happens that the sprinkler control wires are rightnextto the copper pipe, making it very touchy to solder on a new connector.

Does existing corrosion or solder on the pipe prevent a good connection with Sharkbites?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It uses O-rings to seal and SS gripper teeth to hold it in place...my guess is that old solder or corrosion would not produce a good connection.

RochNY

Reaction score
Are these fittings going to last as long as a compression fitting? The O ring inside seems like it would fail over time (hopefully not a short time)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am going to guess that over time they will do the same thing that packing nuts do and will leak if disturbed after being in 1 position for 10 years or so.

Ones on the the hot side may do it more quickly than if on the cold side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks