Water Pressure Drops

Users who are viewing this thread

mpoling

Reaction score
My water pressure has started to drop significantly periodically for very short periods of time. Depending on the flow rate of the water, every 2 minutes or so the water pressure will drop off significantly for a 1 or 2 seconds, then recover completely, and the cycle continues consistently. The cycle timing seems to be roughly the same as my pump cycling On/Off (it does not seem to be short-cycling, and the pressure tank seems to be ok), and the recovery time seems to be too fast for a thermal shutdown issue (the water never actually stops flowing, either). Has anyone experienced this or know the cause?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have any water filtration on your system? If so i would bypass the system to see if there is a difference in pressure or replace any filters that may be clogged up. How do you know the tank isn't a problem??

SAM

mpoling

Reaction score
Water Pressur Drops

I do not have a Filtration System.

My assumption that the Pressure Tank is ok is based on past symptoms when it was defective and that I have read about (short cycling of the pump causing pressure variation every few seconds, and the pump switching on / off at the same interval), and its age (replaced a defective tank about a year ago, shouldn't be bad in a year, manufacturing defects in the Tank should have revealed themselves earlier). But, I am a bit of a novice with wells and pumps so there may be failure modes that create syptoms like mine that I have not been exposed to yet.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
What type of well system do you have? The problems that you are having can be caused by a bad tank,a well being over pumped,or possibly something else depending on your set up.You might have a jet pump that is periodically losing its prime. I would isolate the system by shutting off the main valve at the tank and cycle the system by running a garden hose off the tank. See if you notice a difference in the pressure. Also check the air in the tank by draining the system down. Use a tire gauge on the snifter valve.The pressure should be 2lbs below the cut in on the switch. Also with the main valve off and the system up to pressure,watch the needle to see if you have any water going back down the well.

SAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks