my new Toto Drake toilet is leaking - trickling

Users who are viewing this thread

Jasmine123

Reaction score
My new Toto Drake toilet (4-days old) is leaking, and I'm guessing (as a non-professional) that the flapper contact is not making a good seal.

(1) Water enters the open pipe in the middle of the tank that sits on top of the toilet, from a rubber hose coming from a bright blue plastic piece, and (2) The water level drops a little over an inch.

Thiis continues in a sustained fashion until the tank is empty.

There is a little slack in the chain that goes to the flapper.

I have a Five Year Limited Warranty which gives an 888-number to call, but it's only 7:00 a.m. and I doubt anyone is there yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Have you disassembled the flapper ans inspected it and the flapper seat? You may find something simple like tape or something not allowing a proper seal.

Jasmine123

Reaction score
yes

Cass said:
Have you disassembled the flapper ans inspected it and the flapper seat? You may find something simple like tape or something not allowing a proper seal.

Yes, I inspected it and found no tape or anything that apparently would interfere with the seal. I did find a number "9" and "Toto" on the top of the flapper, which is a bright red.

After the tank empties, I picked up the flapper with my fingers and let it drop. This produced a nice "thud" sound.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did you run your finger lightly on the flapper seat to feel for any bumps / problems that might not be readly visable with the eye?

Jasmine123

Reaction score
yes

"Yes," I ran my fingers around both the flapper and the plastic (white) flange at the bottom, in the middle of, the toilet tank. I didn't notice any bumps or "anything."

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would try a Korky flapper and see if it makes any difference.

Jasmine123

Reaction score
back to Normal

Maybe lifting the flapper and letting it "thud" did the trick. Or did running my finger around the bottom flange and the bottom of the flapper bring about the desired results? For whatever reason, my new Toto Drake doesn't leak now, and things are back to normal.

(I capitalized "normal" because a friend of mine was from Normal, Illinois and, on occasion, he did "get back to Normal.")

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You may have inadvertantly knocked off what ever was causing the problem without knowing it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks