(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: my new Toto Drake toilet is leaking - trickling

Unhappy my new Toto Drake toilet is leaking - trickling

My new Toto Drake toilet (4-days old) is leaking, and I'm guessing (as a non-professional) that the flapper contact is not making a good seal.

(1) Water enters the open pipe in the middle of the tank that sits on top of the toilet, from a rubber hose coming from a bright blue plastic piece, and (2) The water level drops a little over an inch.

Thiis continues in a sustained fashion until the tank is empty.

There is a little slack in the chain that goes to the flapper.

I have a Five Year Limited Warranty which gives an 888-number to call, but it's only 7:00 a.m. and I doubt anyone is there yet.
    Last edited by Ivory123; 04-17-2007 at 04:06 AM.

Have you disassembled the flapper ans inspected it and the flapper seat? You may find something simple like tape or something not allowing a proper seal.

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by Cass
    Have you disassembled the flapper ans inspected it and the flapper seat? You may find something simple like tape or something not allowing a proper seal.
    Yes, I inspected it and found no tape or anything that apparently would interfere with the seal. I did find a number "9" and "Toto" on the top of the flapper, which is a bright red.

After the tank empties, I picked up the flapper with my fingers and let it drop. This produced a nice "thud" sound.

Did you run your finger lightly on the flapper seat to feel for any bumps / problems that might not be readly visable with the eye?

Default yes

"Yes," I ran my fingers around both the flapper and the plastic (white) flange at the bottom, in the middle of, the toilet tank. I didn't notice any bumps or "anything."

I would try a Korky flapper and see if it makes any difference.

Default back to Normal

Maybe lifting the flapper and letting it "thud" did the trick. Or did running my finger around the bottom flange and the bottom of the flapper bring about the desired results? For whatever reason, my new Toto Drake doesn't leak now, and things are back to normal.

(I capitalized "normal" because a friend of mine was from Normal, Illinois and, on occasion, he did "get back to Normal.")

You may have inadvertantly knocked off what ever was causing the problem without knowing it