Dip tube removal

Users who are viewing this thread

doonboggle

Reaction score
I want to remove my 'old' dip tube from my 2 year old AmericanPro gas water heater ... for the purpose of installing one with a curve in it ... for clean out purposes.

In looking at the top, I see a nipple going into the top of the cold water connection for the heater. Once I unscrew the nipple, what do I do then to get the dip tube out? Does it simply unscrew also?
Thanks
doon

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dip tube

Not unless it is part of the pipe you unscrew. If it is not then they usually pull out, not always easily however. The curved dip tube will only "self clean" when a high volume device is used. These days the bathtub and washing machine are about the only two that will make it function. Also, the material disturbed by it, will either settle back to the bottom or enter the hot water piping and eventually flow to the faucets and plug up their aerator screens.

edbreyer

Reaction score
Flushing out periodically is the best answer?

Based on the reply about the curved dip tube - it seems like the best maintenance task for a water heater is still to flush out several gallons periodically through the bottom spigot - is this correct?

I used to do it every couple of months but must confess that I'd forgotten all about in my new house - and it's been three years now -- OOPS!

I guess I'll do it now while I'm thinking about it - although the deposits may already be solidified at the bottom of the tank.

I've got another question about anode rods - but I'll post that seperately.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks